'The Other Woman' Tops Box Office, Summer Movie Season Promises Big
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 29, 2014 11:17 AM EST
The summer season of movies is going to start next week. This weekend seems like laying the foundation for the movie bonanza expected to start shortly.
The Other Woman emerged as the winner at the box office with $24.7 million, putting it straight to the top of the table. The revenge comedy starring Cameron Diaz, Kate Upton and Leslie Mann costs $40 million to produce. Even though the movie received some harsh reviews, the movie has apparently managed to attract adult women audience to the theatre. In fact, the sexy trio in the movie unseated Captain America: The Winter Soldier to secure the top spot. CATWS ruled at the top of the box office for the previous three weeks until TOW came.
(L-R) Cast members Leslie Mann, Cameron Diaz and Kate Upton pose at the premiere of the film "The Other Woman" in Los Angeles, California, in this April 21, 2014 file photo. "The Other Woman" is a somewhat rare species in today's film fauna - a comedy by women, about women and for women.
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau played the man in question in TOW. Coster-Waldau, who is famous for starring in Game of Thrones at HBO, cheats on his wife Mann with Diaz. On the other hand, he cheats on Diaz with Upton. When the three women come together and become friends with one another, they come to know that Coster-Waldau is cheating on all three of them with another woman. The movie is basically a humorous take on the revenge of the women.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was released in the international market this week in Japan, South Korea, Italy and Russia. It has already put together $67 million internationally. The coming weekend will see it released in 30 territories, including France, China, India and America.
Australia will see a number of movies release in the coming weeks of May 2014. Some of the anticipated movies are Bad Neighbours, Chef, The Double, Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past and A Million Ways To Die In The West.
Seth Rogen, Rose Byrne and Zac Efron star in Bad Neighbours, while Chef has big names like Jon Favreau, Robert Downey Jr, Sofia Vergara and Scarlett Johanssen. Gareth Edwards directed his version of Godzilla which promises to be an action thriller, while A Million Ways To Die In The West is a comedy where a timid farmer tries to win back his girl who left him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More