'The Other Woman' Tops Box Office, Summer Movie Season Promises Big
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 29, 2014 11:17 AM EST
The summer season of movies is going to start next week. This weekend seems like laying the foundation for the movie bonanza expected to start shortly.
The Other Woman emerged as the winner at the box office with $24.7 million, putting it straight to the top of the table. The revenge comedy starring Cameron Diaz, Kate Upton and Leslie Mann costs $40 million to produce. Even though the movie received some harsh reviews, the movie has apparently managed to attract adult women audience to the theatre. In fact, the sexy trio in the movie unseated Captain America: The Winter Soldier to secure the top spot. CATWS ruled at the top of the box office for the previous three weeks until TOW came.
(L-R) Cast members Leslie Mann, Cameron Diaz and Kate Upton pose at the premiere of the film "The Other Woman" in Los Angeles, California, in this April 21, 2014 file photo. "The Other Woman" is a somewhat rare species in today's film fauna - a comedy by women, about women and for women.
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau played the man in question in TOW. Coster-Waldau, who is famous for starring in Game of Thrones at HBO, cheats on his wife Mann with Diaz. On the other hand, he cheats on Diaz with Upton. When the three women come together and become friends with one another, they come to know that Coster-Waldau is cheating on all three of them with another woman. The movie is basically a humorous take on the revenge of the women.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was released in the international market this week in Japan, South Korea, Italy and Russia. It has already put together $67 million internationally. The coming weekend will see it released in 30 territories, including France, China, India and America.
Australia will see a number of movies release in the coming weeks of May 2014. Some of the anticipated movies are Bad Neighbours, Chef, The Double, Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past and A Million Ways To Die In The West.
Seth Rogen, Rose Byrne and Zac Efron star in Bad Neighbours, while Chef has big names like Jon Favreau, Robert Downey Jr, Sofia Vergara and Scarlett Johanssen. Gareth Edwards directed his version of Godzilla which promises to be an action thriller, while A Million Ways To Die In The West is a comedy where a timid farmer tries to win back his girl who left him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal