Premier League's Top Three Contenders Closing in for the Title: Stats, Predictions
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | April 29, 2014 10:50 AM EST
Football fans worldwide are anticipating more than ever the three-way bout among Premier League's top title contenders. Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea are in for one of the most open title races in the history of the Premier League.
Chelsea's Willian (L) celebrates with team mates after scoring a goal against Liverpool during their English Premier League soccer match at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England, April 27, 2014.
Liverpool's 11-game winning streak was cut off by Chelsea in their game at Anfield last Sunday. With Liverpool's recent winnings, the team is touted by sports fans and enthusiasts to have control of the league. Only to meet an upset last Sunday, this leaves Liverpool with only a two-point lead over Chelsea in the Premier's overall scores table. Currently, Liverpool tops the ranks with 80 points, 25 wins, 5 draws and 6 losses.
BBC sports expert Mark Lawrenson expected Liverpool to beat Chelsea in their continued winning streak. "Up until yesterday, Liverpool were in control of their own destiny," Lawrenson then stated after Liverpool's loss. He continued to say Chelsea's upset is an opportunity lost to keep things going for Liverpool, according to the same BBC report.
According to Chelsea's manager, their recent win against Liverpool was no reason to celebrate just yet. "We are not in it. The champions will be Liverpool or City, we have nothing to celebrate", Jose Mourinho comments, unassuming in their current standing,according to BBC.
Chelsea stands second in overall Premier League standings with 78 points, 24 wins, 6 draws and 6 losses.
Manchester City is not to be left out of the picture. Shortly after Chelsea's win against Liverpool, Man City defeated the Crystal Palace 2-0. It now puts them only three points behind top-ranking Liverpool, thus giving them a chance for the title. Man City is in third place with 77 points, 24 wins, 5 draws and 6 losses.
These top three club's winning chances can only be decided come last day of the season. With how their statistics are shaping up, the battle for the title will be a close fight. The slightest of goal differences or margins will define Premier League 2014's champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter