Premier League's Top Three Contenders Closing in for the Title: Stats, Predictions
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | April 29, 2014 10:50 AM EST
Football fans worldwide are anticipating more than ever the three-way bout among Premier League's top title contenders. Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea are in for one of the most open title races in the history of the Premier League.
Chelsea's Willian (L) celebrates with team mates after scoring a goal against Liverpool during their English Premier League soccer match at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England, April 27, 2014.
Liverpool's 11-game winning streak was cut off by Chelsea in their game at Anfield last Sunday. With Liverpool's recent winnings, the team is touted by sports fans and enthusiasts to have control of the league. Only to meet an upset last Sunday, this leaves Liverpool with only a two-point lead over Chelsea in the Premier's overall scores table. Currently, Liverpool tops the ranks with 80 points, 25 wins, 5 draws and 6 losses.
BBC sports expert Mark Lawrenson expected Liverpool to beat Chelsea in their continued winning streak. "Up until yesterday, Liverpool were in control of their own destiny," Lawrenson then stated after Liverpool's loss. He continued to say Chelsea's upset is an opportunity lost to keep things going for Liverpool, according to the same BBC report.
According to Chelsea's manager, their recent win against Liverpool was no reason to celebrate just yet. "We are not in it. The champions will be Liverpool or City, we have nothing to celebrate", Jose Mourinho comments, unassuming in their current standing,according to BBC.
Chelsea stands second in overall Premier League standings with 78 points, 24 wins, 6 draws and 6 losses.
Manchester City is not to be left out of the picture. Shortly after Chelsea's win against Liverpool, Man City defeated the Crystal Palace 2-0. It now puts them only three points behind top-ranking Liverpool, thus giving them a chance for the title. Man City is in third place with 77 points, 24 wins, 5 draws and 6 losses.
These top three club's winning chances can only be decided come last day of the season. With how their statistics are shaping up, the battle for the title will be a close fight. The slightest of goal differences or margins will define Premier League 2014's champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales