Premier League's Top Three Contenders Closing in for the Title: Stats, Predictions
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | April 29, 2014 10:50 AM EST
Football fans worldwide are anticipating more than ever the three-way bout among Premier League's top title contenders. Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea are in for one of the most open title races in the history of the Premier League.
Chelsea's Willian (L) celebrates with team mates after scoring a goal against Liverpool during their English Premier League soccer match at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England, April 27, 2014.
Liverpool's 11-game winning streak was cut off by Chelsea in their game at Anfield last Sunday. With Liverpool's recent winnings, the team is touted by sports fans and enthusiasts to have control of the league. Only to meet an upset last Sunday, this leaves Liverpool with only a two-point lead over Chelsea in the Premier's overall scores table. Currently, Liverpool tops the ranks with 80 points, 25 wins, 5 draws and 6 losses.
BBC sports expert Mark Lawrenson expected Liverpool to beat Chelsea in their continued winning streak. "Up until yesterday, Liverpool were in control of their own destiny," Lawrenson then stated after Liverpool's loss. He continued to say Chelsea's upset is an opportunity lost to keep things going for Liverpool, according to the same BBC report.
According to Chelsea's manager, their recent win against Liverpool was no reason to celebrate just yet. "We are not in it. The champions will be Liverpool or City, we have nothing to celebrate", Jose Mourinho comments, unassuming in their current standing,according to BBC.
Chelsea stands second in overall Premier League standings with 78 points, 24 wins, 6 draws and 6 losses.
Manchester City is not to be left out of the picture. Shortly after Chelsea's win against Liverpool, Man City defeated the Crystal Palace 2-0. It now puts them only three points behind top-ranking Liverpool, thus giving them a chance for the title. Man City is in third place with 77 points, 24 wins, 5 draws and 6 losses.
These top three club's winning chances can only be decided come last day of the season. With how their statistics are shaping up, the battle for the title will be a close fight. The slightest of goal differences or margins will define Premier League 2014's champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories