Premier League's Top Three Contenders Closing in for the Title: Stats, Predictions
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | April 29, 2014 10:50 AM EST
Football fans worldwide are anticipating more than ever the three-way bout among Premier League's top title contenders. Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea are in for one of the most open title races in the history of the Premier League.
Chelsea's Willian (L) celebrates with team mates after scoring a goal against Liverpool during their English Premier League soccer match at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England, April 27, 2014.
Liverpool's 11-game winning streak was cut off by Chelsea in their game at Anfield last Sunday. With Liverpool's recent winnings, the team is touted by sports fans and enthusiasts to have control of the league. Only to meet an upset last Sunday, this leaves Liverpool with only a two-point lead over Chelsea in the Premier's overall scores table. Currently, Liverpool tops the ranks with 80 points, 25 wins, 5 draws and 6 losses.
BBC sports expert Mark Lawrenson expected Liverpool to beat Chelsea in their continued winning streak. "Up until yesterday, Liverpool were in control of their own destiny," Lawrenson then stated after Liverpool's loss. He continued to say Chelsea's upset is an opportunity lost to keep things going for Liverpool, according to the same BBC report.
According to Chelsea's manager, their recent win against Liverpool was no reason to celebrate just yet. "We are not in it. The champions will be Liverpool or City, we have nothing to celebrate", Jose Mourinho comments, unassuming in their current standing,according to BBC.
Chelsea stands second in overall Premier League standings with 78 points, 24 wins, 6 draws and 6 losses.
Manchester City is not to be left out of the picture. Shortly after Chelsea's win against Liverpool, Man City defeated the Crystal Palace 2-0. It now puts them only three points behind top-ranking Liverpool, thus giving them a chance for the title. Man City is in third place with 77 points, 24 wins, 5 draws and 6 losses.
These top three club's winning chances can only be decided come last day of the season. With how their statistics are shaping up, the battle for the title will be a close fight. The slightest of goal differences or margins will define Premier League 2014's champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed