Australian Miners Unearth New Mineral, Putnisite, at Lake Cowan Area in WA
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 29, 2014 9:25 AM EST
A junior miner deployed at the Lake Cowan region in Western Australia had discovered an unknown mineral. It has been named putnisite after minearologists Andrew and Christine Putnis.
Labourers work to drain sewage water from a leaked sewage tank at a copper mine in Shanghang, Fujian province, July 13, 2010. The sewage leak from the copper mine owned by Zijin Mining Group Co., has polluted a river and reservoir in Fujian province, Xinhua news agency reported.
The mineral is translucent and brittle, although there is no known practical uses yet of putnisite. Among its elements are carbon, calcium, chromium and strontium.
The discovers brought the newly discovered mineral to Dr Peter Elliott, a researcher at the University of Adelaide, for analysis. Elliott said, quoted by Mining.com, "Most minerals belong to a family or small group of related minerals, or if they aren't related to other minerals they often are to a synthetic compound - but putnisite is completely unique and unrelated to anything."
For putnisite to be official, it needs to be approved by the International Mineralogical Association.
Elliott published his findings about putnisite in Mineralogical Magazine.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
- New Technology to Build Invisible Material Using Light: Study Says
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Streaks of Jealousy Found Among Dogs
- New Zealand's Largest Glaciers Record Severe Ice Loss Due to Global Warming
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal