Australian Miners Unearth New Mineral, Putnisite, at Lake Cowan Area in WA
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 29, 2014 9:25 AM EST
A junior miner deployed at the Lake Cowan region in Western Australia had discovered an unknown mineral. It has been named putnisite after minearologists Andrew and Christine Putnis.
Labourers work to drain sewage water from a leaked sewage tank at a copper mine in Shanghang, Fujian province, July 13, 2010. The sewage leak from the copper mine owned by Zijin Mining Group Co., has polluted a river and reservoir in Fujian province, Xinhua news agency reported.
The mineral is translucent and brittle, although there is no known practical uses yet of putnisite. Among its elements are carbon, calcium, chromium and strontium.
The discovers brought the newly discovered mineral to Dr Peter Elliott, a researcher at the University of Adelaide, for analysis. Elliott said, quoted by Mining.com, "Most minerals belong to a family or small group of related minerals, or if they aren't related to other minerals they often are to a synthetic compound - but putnisite is completely unique and unrelated to anything."
For putnisite to be official, it needs to be approved by the International Mineralogical Association.
Elliott published his findings about putnisite in Mineralogical Magazine.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Sydney Heatwave Roundup: Mercury Rising To 40 Degrees, Severe Fire Warnings In Place
- Crop Production Amplifies Carbon Dioxide Cycle
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899