FIFA Worries Over 4 Unfinished World Cup Stadiums in Brazil 50 Days Before First Football Game
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 29, 2014 8:50 AM EST
Will Sau Paolo be another Sochi, replete with horror stories of unfinished hotels, fireworks that go kaput, lack of water in taps and hopefully not, two toilet bowls in one cubicle?
The question is probably in the mind of FIFA officials since it is only 50 days before the first football match will be held on June 12 in the South American country of Brazil, and four stadiums are still incomplete, including the Arena Corinthians in Sau Paolo where the opening game will feature host country Brazil versus Croatia.
That stadium's construction was delayed after a worked died in March, and the unfinished portion of the sports venue is still substantial.
Besides the Arena Corinthians, still in the construction phase are the stadiums in Porto Alegre, Curitiba and Cuiaba. But eight other stadiums are ready and reportedly looks stunning.
Despite the delays due to lack of work for years, the four remaining stadiums are on the way to being ready after more than two months, FIFA President Sepp Blatter said, quoted by AP.
FIFA awarded the hosting of the World Cup to Brazil in 2007, but regular protests were held against the construction of the stadiums, while the nation is also in the thick of preparations for a bigger event - the hosting of the Summer Olympic Games in the same year.
In the run-up to the World Cup matches, the Brazilian government has put in place drastic measures to ensure media and spectators would have sufficient facilities, including putting up temporary structures in several host cities.
To test the Arena Pantanal in Cuiaba, Luverdense battled on Saturday Vasco de Gama in the Brazilian second division match with the local team winning 2-1. A crowd of about 17,800 people watched the football game as the Brazil Organising Committee used the event to test the stadium's preparedness in the areas of cleaning and waste management, transport, spectator services, volunteers, catering, technology, competitions and safety and security.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2