FIFA Worries Over 4 Unfinished World Cup Stadiums in Brazil 50 Days Before First Football Game
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 29, 2014 8:50 AM EST
Will Sau Paolo be another Sochi, replete with horror stories of unfinished hotels, fireworks that go kaput, lack of water in taps and hopefully not, two toilet bowls in one cubicle?
The question is probably in the mind of FIFA officials since it is only 50 days before the first football match will be held on June 12 in the South American country of Brazil, and four stadiums are still incomplete, including the Arena Corinthians in Sau Paolo where the opening game will feature host country Brazil versus Croatia.
That stadium's construction was delayed after a worked died in March, and the unfinished portion of the sports venue is still substantial.
Besides the Arena Corinthians, still in the construction phase are the stadiums in Porto Alegre, Curitiba and Cuiaba. But eight other stadiums are ready and reportedly looks stunning.
Despite the delays due to lack of work for years, the four remaining stadiums are on the way to being ready after more than two months, FIFA President Sepp Blatter said, quoted by AP.
FIFA awarded the hosting of the World Cup to Brazil in 2007, but regular protests were held against the construction of the stadiums, while the nation is also in the thick of preparations for a bigger event - the hosting of the Summer Olympic Games in the same year.
In the run-up to the World Cup matches, the Brazilian government has put in place drastic measures to ensure media and spectators would have sufficient facilities, including putting up temporary structures in several host cities.
To test the Arena Pantanal in Cuiaba, Luverdense battled on Saturday Vasco de Gama in the Brazilian second division match with the local team winning 2-1. A crowd of about 17,800 people watched the football game as the Brazil Organising Committee used the event to test the stadium's preparedness in the areas of cleaning and waste management, transport, spectator services, volunteers, catering, technology, competitions and safety and security.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- Video Of Floyd Mayweather Having An Altercation With A Random Woman, Who Had No Idea Who He Is, Goes Viral
- 2014/15 NBA Season Preview And Predictions: Los Angeles Lakers; Jeremy Lin's Breakout Campaign
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots