FIFA Worries Over 4 Unfinished World Cup Stadiums in Brazil 50 Days Before First Football Game
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 29, 2014 8:50 AM EST
Will Sau Paolo be another Sochi, replete with horror stories of unfinished hotels, fireworks that go kaput, lack of water in taps and hopefully not, two toilet bowls in one cubicle?
The question is probably in the mind of FIFA officials since it is only 50 days before the first football match will be held on June 12 in the South American country of Brazil, and four stadiums are still incomplete, including the Arena Corinthians in Sau Paolo where the opening game will feature host country Brazil versus Croatia.
That stadium's construction was delayed after a worked died in March, and the unfinished portion of the sports venue is still substantial.
Besides the Arena Corinthians, still in the construction phase are the stadiums in Porto Alegre, Curitiba and Cuiaba. But eight other stadiums are ready and reportedly looks stunning.
Despite the delays due to lack of work for years, the four remaining stadiums are on the way to being ready after more than two months, FIFA President Sepp Blatter said, quoted by AP.
FIFA awarded the hosting of the World Cup to Brazil in 2007, but regular protests were held against the construction of the stadiums, while the nation is also in the thick of preparations for a bigger event - the hosting of the Summer Olympic Games in the same year.
In the run-up to the World Cup matches, the Brazilian government has put in place drastic measures to ensure media and spectators would have sufficient facilities, including putting up temporary structures in several host cities.
To test the Arena Pantanal in Cuiaba, Luverdense battled on Saturday Vasco de Gama in the Brazilian second division match with the local team winning 2-1. A crowd of about 17,800 people watched the football game as the Brazil Organising Committee used the event to test the stadium's preparedness in the areas of cleaning and waste management, transport, spectator services, volunteers, catering, technology, competitions and safety and security.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates