FIFA Worries Over 4 Unfinished World Cup Stadiums in Brazil 50 Days Before First Football Game
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 29, 2014 8:50 AM EST
Will Sau Paolo be another Sochi, replete with horror stories of unfinished hotels, fireworks that go kaput, lack of water in taps and hopefully not, two toilet bowls in one cubicle?
The question is probably in the mind of FIFA officials since it is only 50 days before the first football match will be held on June 12 in the South American country of Brazil, and four stadiums are still incomplete, including the Arena Corinthians in Sau Paolo where the opening game will feature host country Brazil versus Croatia.
That stadium's construction was delayed after a worked died in March, and the unfinished portion of the sports venue is still substantial.
Besides the Arena Corinthians, still in the construction phase are the stadiums in Porto Alegre, Curitiba and Cuiaba. But eight other stadiums are ready and reportedly looks stunning.
Despite the delays due to lack of work for years, the four remaining stadiums are on the way to being ready after more than two months, FIFA President Sepp Blatter said, quoted by AP.
FIFA awarded the hosting of the World Cup to Brazil in 2007, but regular protests were held against the construction of the stadiums, while the nation is also in the thick of preparations for a bigger event - the hosting of the Summer Olympic Games in the same year.
In the run-up to the World Cup matches, the Brazilian government has put in place drastic measures to ensure media and spectators would have sufficient facilities, including putting up temporary structures in several host cities.
To test the Arena Pantanal in Cuiaba, Luverdense battled on Saturday Vasco de Gama in the Brazilian second division match with the local team winning 2-1. A crowd of about 17,800 people watched the football game as the Brazil Organising Committee used the event to test the stadium's preparedness in the areas of cleaning and waste management, transport, spectator services, volunteers, catering, technology, competitions and safety and security.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies