Watch Chris Gayle's First Innings in IPL 2014: Kings XI vs RCB Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 29, 2014 4:24 AM EST
The Royal Challengers Bangalore failed to find their batting groove yet again as the Kings XI Punjab picked up their fifth straight win in IPL 2014 with another dominating performance.
Desperately needing a good outing with the bat, the Royal Challengers failed to put up a good effort, managing a mere 124 for eight in their 20 overs, despite Chris Gayle returning to the lineup.
That target was never going to be enough to trouble the Kings XI batting might, which has made merry this season, and despite the best efforts of the RCB bowlers, the Punjab franchise eased to a five-wicket win with seven balls to spare.
"The momentum can turn around very quickly in this format," said RCB skipper Virat Kohli, who was a little unlucky to be given out lbw in the first innings. "Today was one of those days where we didn't apply ourselves with the bat and we'll have to go back to the drawing board.
"It's tough when you middle the ball and it goes to the fielder but that's how it is. It was a commendable effort from the bowlers though. [Varun] Aaron and [Yuzvendra] Chahal have been bowling beautifully and it's really pleasing to see them bowl so well for us."
The man who set the game up for KXIP was Sandeep Sharma, with the swing bowler picking up three wickets at the top, including Chris Gayle and Kohli, to walk away with the man of the match honours for the second straight game.
"I'm just feeling lucky that I'm getting back-to-back man of the match awards and I'm feeling awesome," he said at the presentation ceremony. "I'm just enjoying myself and enjoying the moment playing for Kings XI.
"Getting Chris Gayle was great and an awesome feeling, especially against a batsmen that usually hits every bowler."
Kings XI Punjab were in tricky positions on a couple of occasions during the chase, losing Glenn Maxwell early, and then seeing the two settled batsmen David Miller and Virender Sehwag fall in quick succession.
However, skipper George Bailey and Rishi Dhawan kept the winning run chugging along with a nice partnership to see them over the line.
"Confidence is a big thing and right now we are working very well as a unit, which is the most important aspect," Bailey said. "Low totals can sometimes be tricky, but we're happy to get through in the end."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June