Watch Chris Gayle's First Innings in IPL 2014: Kings XI vs RCB Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 29, 2014 4:24 AM EST
The Royal Challengers Bangalore failed to find their batting groove yet again as the Kings XI Punjab picked up their fifth straight win in IPL 2014 with another dominating performance.
Desperately needing a good outing with the bat, the Royal Challengers failed to put up a good effort, managing a mere 124 for eight in their 20 overs, despite Chris Gayle returning to the lineup.
That target was never going to be enough to trouble the Kings XI batting might, which has made merry this season, and despite the best efforts of the RCB bowlers, the Punjab franchise eased to a five-wicket win with seven balls to spare.
"The momentum can turn around very quickly in this format," said RCB skipper Virat Kohli, who was a little unlucky to be given out lbw in the first innings. "Today was one of those days where we didn't apply ourselves with the bat and we'll have to go back to the drawing board.
"It's tough when you middle the ball and it goes to the fielder but that's how it is. It was a commendable effort from the bowlers though. [Varun] Aaron and [Yuzvendra] Chahal have been bowling beautifully and it's really pleasing to see them bowl so well for us."
The man who set the game up for KXIP was Sandeep Sharma, with the swing bowler picking up three wickets at the top, including Chris Gayle and Kohli, to walk away with the man of the match honours for the second straight game.
"I'm just feeling lucky that I'm getting back-to-back man of the match awards and I'm feeling awesome," he said at the presentation ceremony. "I'm just enjoying myself and enjoying the moment playing for Kings XI.
"Getting Chris Gayle was great and an awesome feeling, especially against a batsmen that usually hits every bowler."
Kings XI Punjab were in tricky positions on a couple of occasions during the chase, losing Glenn Maxwell early, and then seeing the two settled batsmen David Miller and Virender Sehwag fall in quick succession.
However, skipper George Bailey and Rishi Dhawan kept the winning run chugging along with a nice partnership to see them over the line.
"Confidence is a big thing and right now we are working very well as a unit, which is the most important aspect," Bailey said. "Low totals can sometimes be tricky, but we're happy to get through in the end."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6