Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Australia Expands Search Area, But Operation May Take 6-8 Months
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 29, 2014 12:29 AM EST
After 52 frustrating days of searching for the missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 jet and zero results, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said on Monday that the country would enter the next phase of the search by expanding the search area.
However, the expanded search zone would be more frustrating for relatives of the 239 passengers and crew of the ill-fated Flight 370 since Mr Abbott estimates it could take the operation 6 to 8 months to do the job.
"We will do everything we humanly can, everything we reasonably can, to solve this mystery," the PM said, quoted by The New Strait Times.
He said the new search area would cover an area 700 kilometres by 80 kilometres, which would cost the Australian government up to A$60 million.
Besides being the most expensive search, it is also the most difficult search in human history, Mr Abbott said.
Search teams would still use the U.S. Navy's Bluefin-21 submersible to search the ocean floor, plus specialised sonar equipment towed by vessels to scan the seabed for signs of wreckage.
The PM said that while authorities are confident that the signals last detected two weeks ago were from the black box of the plane that went missing on March 8 on its way to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, most materials would by now be waterlogged and sunk.
Mr Abbott said that with the expansion of the coverage area, all aircraft used would be close to the limit of sensible and safe operation.
Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston said that while the search team gave a 6- to 8-month time frame, he raised potentials issues that could prolong the search such as bad weather and potential problems with equipment such as the Bluefin 21 which has a number of teething problem with it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- Another Missing Jet: Air Algeria Disappears With 116 on Board
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales