Video of Canadian Hockey Player Jordin Tootoo Giving His Stick To Young Fan Becomes Viral
By Anne Lu | April 28, 2014 11:02 PM EST
Canadian hockey player Jordin Tootoo made a young fan’s day, possibly his whole year as well, when he gave his hockey stick to him. The video of the 31-year-old Grand Rapids Griffins forward giving away his stick during pregame warm-ups to a young boy has gone viral, making Tootoo a hero in everyone’s eyes.
Tootoo dropped his tough guy reputation for a moment when he greeted a waiting fan after a game on April 18.
The boy, identified by ESPN as five-year-old Camden Smith, was waiting by the tunnel to greet the player. It was apparent that he only wanted a high five from his idol, but he got so much more than that.
“Tootoo!” Smith called as his grandpa helped him perch on a stand.
“What’s up, buddy?” Tootoo asked the kid before handing him the hockey stick that he had just used on the ice.
“It’s all yours,” he said.
The already smiling Smith burst with glee at the unexpected gift. His laughter was so infectious that people who have watched the 15-second clip on YouTube, over 1.6 million of them, couldn’t help but smile with him.
“The final smile on that boy’s face brought tears to my eyes,” one YouTube commenter wrote. “Way to go Jordin. Class act right there, no doubt.”
Another one added, “Jordin Tootoo, a world class athlete. The kid’s face was priceless, mainly because Jordin is one of the nicer players.”
One commenter, meanwhile, changed his opinion on Tootoo upon seeing the video.
“I always hated Jordin, this changes my pov,” the commenter wrote, perhaps referring to Tootoo’s difficult reputation on ice.
Tootoo, the first Inuk player and the first to grow up in Nunavut territory in Canada to participate in the National Hockey League game, has faced multiple NHL disciplinary actions in the past, including game suspensions without pay. He has been accused of playing “dirty” on some occasions, as well as punching his opponents during heated games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People