Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 KitKat and Android 4.4.2 Guide: AT&T Release and More
By Precious Silva | April 28, 2014 10:56 PM EST
AT&T has finally provided update for its Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. However, the carrier has also stopped roll out of the Android 4.4.2 on the same handset. The Android 4.4 KitKat update offers a range of improvements and features for the handset. The same update has also been released for LG G Flex.
A Google Android figurine sits on the welcome desk as employee Tracy McNeilly smiles at the new Google office in Toronto, November 13, 2012.
The Android 4.4 KitKat update offers a number of enhancements to the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. These include improvements on the camera focus, exposure, phone dialer, gallery apps and the overall UI. According to AT&T, users of S4 Active can expect the following changes:
- Better user interface - the new Android update features redesigned navigation and status bars. Other features include color emoji support, new full-screen immersive mode, more efficient power system, improved security and enhanced closed captioning support.
- Better access to music - users can now control their media better along with full screen album art. People can also control the music through controls on the lock screen.
- Camera access - users can now access the camera even through the lock screen.
- Location menu - the location menu will allow users to active the GPS conveniently. They can also share details of the location easily.
- Wireless printing - there is now better wireless printing integrated support accessible under improved settings.
The LG G Flex will receive similar enhancements to the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active under the Android 4.4 KitKat update. Other reported features include faster processing speed, knock code and touchless search. Users simply need to check their phone's settings to see if they can download the OTA already.
It was just a few days following the announcement of the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update when it appeared AT&T has stopped the release. The carrier has not released any specific information for holding back the update. Nonetheless, the company did say that they have been coordinating with Samsung to work on more possible improvements on the firmware update. According to Samsung:
"The software update for Samsung Galaxy S4 Active is temporarily on hold while AT&T and Samsung look into potential improvements."
To contact the editor, e-mail: