Liverpool FC News: Chelsea Guilty of 'Parking Two Buses' and 'Time-Wasting,' Says Reds Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 28, 2014 9:00 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers acknowledged his squad's 2-0 defeat in the hands of Chelsea on Sunday, but accused Jose Mourinho's side of playing it safe all throughout the match.
“They obviously sat very deep. I think there were two buses parked today, never mind one.” - Brendan Rodgers
Demba Ba and Willian were able to put the ball at the back of the net in extra-time of each half, with the first goal a product of a Steven Gerrard error, while the other was a result of a counterattack.
"Congratulations to Chelsea, they won the game, we just couldn't find the breakthrough," the Reds mentor told Sky Sports.
"They obviously sat very deep. I think there were two buses parked today, never mind one."
"It was like a back six with three midfield players in front of that. That's 10, with the goalkeeper, for 90 minutes consistently behind the ball."
"Unless you get that early goal, it doesn't entice them to come out. It was clear that they'd come certainly not wanting to win the game, with the time-wasting and whatnot."
"The players gave everything and we couldn't quite get that wee bit of luck."
Rodgers further questioned the Portuguese's approach to the said fixture, emphasising on the latter's poor strategy.
"I don't think it's a tactic. Anyone can ask a team to just sit back and defend on the edge of the box," he added.
"It's the nature of how Chelsea play. They've got some wonderful players but they play a defensive game and hope to hit you on the counter-attack or with a mistake."
The Merseysiders' loss changed the complexion of the title race, with Manchester City, who still have a game in hand and are superior on goal difference, now having a chance of winning it all, should they come out victorious in the rest of their assignments and maintain their lead in goal difference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best