Liverpool FC News: Chelsea Guilty of 'Parking Two Buses' and 'Time-Wasting,' Says Reds Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 28, 2014 9:00 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers acknowledged his squad's 2-0 defeat in the hands of Chelsea on Sunday, but accused Jose Mourinho's side of playing it safe all throughout the match.
“They obviously sat very deep. I think there were two buses parked today, never mind one.” - Brendan Rodgers
Demba Ba and Willian were able to put the ball at the back of the net in extra-time of each half, with the first goal a product of a Steven Gerrard error, while the other was a result of a counterattack.
"Congratulations to Chelsea, they won the game, we just couldn't find the breakthrough," the Reds mentor told Sky Sports.
"They obviously sat very deep. I think there were two buses parked today, never mind one."
"It was like a back six with three midfield players in front of that. That's 10, with the goalkeeper, for 90 minutes consistently behind the ball."
"Unless you get that early goal, it doesn't entice them to come out. It was clear that they'd come certainly not wanting to win the game, with the time-wasting and whatnot."
"The players gave everything and we couldn't quite get that wee bit of luck."
Rodgers further questioned the Portuguese's approach to the said fixture, emphasising on the latter's poor strategy.
"I don't think it's a tactic. Anyone can ask a team to just sit back and defend on the edge of the box," he added.
"It's the nature of how Chelsea play. They've got some wonderful players but they play a defensive game and hope to hit you on the counter-attack or with a mistake."
The Merseysiders' loss changed the complexion of the title race, with Manchester City, who still have a game in hand and are superior on goal difference, now having a chance of winning it all, should they come out victorious in the rest of their assignments and maintain their lead in goal difference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports