Liverpool FC News: Chelsea Guilty of 'Parking Two Buses' and 'Time-Wasting,' Says Reds Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 28, 2014 9:00 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers acknowledged his squad's 2-0 defeat in the hands of Chelsea on Sunday, but accused Jose Mourinho's side of playing it safe all throughout the match.
“They obviously sat very deep. I think there were two buses parked today, never mind one.” - Brendan Rodgers
Demba Ba and Willian were able to put the ball at the back of the net in extra-time of each half, with the first goal a product of a Steven Gerrard error, while the other was a result of a counterattack.
"Congratulations to Chelsea, they won the game, we just couldn't find the breakthrough," the Reds mentor told Sky Sports.
"They obviously sat very deep. I think there were two buses parked today, never mind one."
"It was like a back six with three midfield players in front of that. That's 10, with the goalkeeper, for 90 minutes consistently behind the ball."
"Unless you get that early goal, it doesn't entice them to come out. It was clear that they'd come certainly not wanting to win the game, with the time-wasting and whatnot."
"The players gave everything and we couldn't quite get that wee bit of luck."
Rodgers further questioned the Portuguese's approach to the said fixture, emphasising on the latter's poor strategy.
"I don't think it's a tactic. Anyone can ask a team to just sit back and defend on the edge of the box," he added.
"It's the nature of how Chelsea play. They've got some wonderful players but they play a defensive game and hope to hit you on the counter-attack or with a mistake."
The Merseysiders' loss changed the complexion of the title race, with Manchester City, who still have a game in hand and are superior on goal difference, now having a chance of winning it all, should they come out victorious in the rest of their assignments and maintain their lead in goal difference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid