Liverpool FC News: Chelsea Guilty of 'Parking Two Buses' and 'Time-Wasting,' Says Reds Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 28, 2014 9:00 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers acknowledged his squad's 2-0 defeat in the hands of Chelsea on Sunday, but accused Jose Mourinho's side of playing it safe all throughout the match.
“They obviously sat very deep. I think there were two buses parked today, never mind one.” - Brendan Rodgers
Demba Ba and Willian were able to put the ball at the back of the net in extra-time of each half, with the first goal a product of a Steven Gerrard error, while the other was a result of a counterattack.
"Congratulations to Chelsea, they won the game, we just couldn't find the breakthrough," the Reds mentor told Sky Sports.
"They obviously sat very deep. I think there were two buses parked today, never mind one."
"It was like a back six with three midfield players in front of that. That's 10, with the goalkeeper, for 90 minutes consistently behind the ball."
"Unless you get that early goal, it doesn't entice them to come out. It was clear that they'd come certainly not wanting to win the game, with the time-wasting and whatnot."
"The players gave everything and we couldn't quite get that wee bit of luck."
Rodgers further questioned the Portuguese's approach to the said fixture, emphasising on the latter's poor strategy.
"I don't think it's a tactic. Anyone can ask a team to just sit back and defend on the edge of the box," he added.
"It's the nature of how Chelsea play. They've got some wonderful players but they play a defensive game and hope to hit you on the counter-attack or with a mistake."
The Merseysiders' loss changed the complexion of the title race, with Manchester City, who still have a game in hand and are superior on goal difference, now having a chance of winning it all, should they come out victorious in the rest of their assignments and maintain their lead in goal difference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’