Liverpool FC News: Chelsea Guilty of 'Parking Two Buses' and 'Time-Wasting,' Says Reds Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 28, 2014 9:00 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers acknowledged his squad's 2-0 defeat in the hands of Chelsea on Sunday, but accused Jose Mourinho's side of playing it safe all throughout the match.
“They obviously sat very deep. I think there were two buses parked today, never mind one.” - Brendan Rodgers
Demba Ba and Willian were able to put the ball at the back of the net in extra-time of each half, with the first goal a product of a Steven Gerrard error, while the other was a result of a counterattack.
"Congratulations to Chelsea, they won the game, we just couldn't find the breakthrough," the Reds mentor told Sky Sports.
"They obviously sat very deep. I think there were two buses parked today, never mind one."
"It was like a back six with three midfield players in front of that. That's 10, with the goalkeeper, for 90 minutes consistently behind the ball."
"Unless you get that early goal, it doesn't entice them to come out. It was clear that they'd come certainly not wanting to win the game, with the time-wasting and whatnot."
"The players gave everything and we couldn't quite get that wee bit of luck."
Rodgers further questioned the Portuguese's approach to the said fixture, emphasising on the latter's poor strategy.
"I don't think it's a tactic. Anyone can ask a team to just sit back and defend on the edge of the box," he added.
"It's the nature of how Chelsea play. They've got some wonderful players but they play a defensive game and hope to hit you on the counter-attack or with a mistake."
The Merseysiders' loss changed the complexion of the title race, with Manchester City, who still have a game in hand and are superior on goal difference, now having a chance of winning it all, should they come out victorious in the rest of their assignments and maintain their lead in goal difference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools