‘Sherlock’ Season 4 Update: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman to Return for Special Episode?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 28, 2014 8:01 PM EST
Season 4 of “Sherlock” may face a delay of over two years due to lead actors Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman’s busy schedule. However, chances are high that fans will get to see a special episode, much before season 4 airs.
Freeman recently revealed during an appearance on Alan Carr's Channel 4 talk show "Chatty Man" that the show’s co-creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss are planning a special episode.
“Mark Gatiss may beat me up, but there is an idea for this one-off special that’s such a good idea," Freeman said, according to Huffington Post.
"As I was listening to it," Freeman continued, "I thought ‘we’ve just got to do this.' It’s a fantastic, really mouth-watering idea. But I really don’t know when we are going to get to do it."
The creators have reportedly planned the season 4 storyline already, and Sherlock Holmes’ arch enemy Moriarty will be a key player in the next three-episode season. But the exact storyline of the one-off special is yet to be finalised, according to reports.
However, fans believe the special episode of the detective drama will be a Christmas special as Gatiss had previously labeled The Blue Carbuncle as his favourite Holmes adventure.
Meanwhile, internet is abuzz with speculations that Tom Hiddleston will join the “Sherlock” cast, and will portray the role of the third Holmes brother.
Addressing the rumor, Gatiss, who plays the role of Mycroft Holmes in the series, admitted during a recent Q&A in Brazil that Hiddleston - best known for playing Loki in the "Thor" films - would indeed be a good choice.
"Tom would be wonderful in Sherlock," Gatiss said, according to Mirror. "But he only does movies now. What can I say?... Well it's an internet rumor so it must be true. We might as well just wait and see what happens."
But as a section of fans pointed out, the third brother might not be alive if the previous season finale is any indication.
"I'm not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion. You now what happened to the other one," Gatiss’ character tells Sherlock.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia