‘Sherlock’ Season 4 Update: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman to Return for Special Episode?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 28, 2014 8:01 PM EST
Season 4 of “Sherlock” may face a delay of over two years due to lead actors Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman’s busy schedule. However, chances are high that fans will get to see a special episode, much before season 4 airs.
Freeman recently revealed during an appearance on Alan Carr's Channel 4 talk show "Chatty Man" that the show’s co-creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss are planning a special episode.
“Mark Gatiss may beat me up, but there is an idea for this one-off special that’s such a good idea," Freeman said, according to Huffington Post.
"As I was listening to it," Freeman continued, "I thought ‘we’ve just got to do this.' It’s a fantastic, really mouth-watering idea. But I really don’t know when we are going to get to do it."
The creators have reportedly planned the season 4 storyline already, and Sherlock Holmes’ arch enemy Moriarty will be a key player in the next three-episode season. But the exact storyline of the one-off special is yet to be finalised, according to reports.
However, fans believe the special episode of the detective drama will be a Christmas special as Gatiss had previously labeled The Blue Carbuncle as his favourite Holmes adventure.
Meanwhile, internet is abuzz with speculations that Tom Hiddleston will join the “Sherlock” cast, and will portray the role of the third Holmes brother.
Addressing the rumor, Gatiss, who plays the role of Mycroft Holmes in the series, admitted during a recent Q&A in Brazil that Hiddleston - best known for playing Loki in the "Thor" films - would indeed be a good choice.
"Tom would be wonderful in Sherlock," Gatiss said, according to Mirror. "But he only does movies now. What can I say?... Well it's an internet rumor so it must be true. We might as well just wait and see what happens."
But as a section of fans pointed out, the third brother might not be alive if the previous season finale is any indication.
"I'm not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion. You now what happened to the other one," Gatiss’ character tells Sherlock.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best