‘Sherlock’ Season 4 Update: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman to Return for Special Episode?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 28, 2014 8:01 PM EST
Season 4 of “Sherlock” may face a delay of over two years due to lead actors Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman’s busy schedule. However, chances are high that fans will get to see a special episode, much before season 4 airs.
Freeman recently revealed during an appearance on Alan Carr's Channel 4 talk show "Chatty Man" that the show’s co-creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss are planning a special episode.
“Mark Gatiss may beat me up, but there is an idea for this one-off special that’s such a good idea," Freeman said, according to Huffington Post.
"As I was listening to it," Freeman continued, "I thought ‘we’ve just got to do this.' It’s a fantastic, really mouth-watering idea. But I really don’t know when we are going to get to do it."
The creators have reportedly planned the season 4 storyline already, and Sherlock Holmes’ arch enemy Moriarty will be a key player in the next three-episode season. But the exact storyline of the one-off special is yet to be finalised, according to reports.
However, fans believe the special episode of the detective drama will be a Christmas special as Gatiss had previously labeled The Blue Carbuncle as his favourite Holmes adventure.
Meanwhile, internet is abuzz with speculations that Tom Hiddleston will join the “Sherlock” cast, and will portray the role of the third Holmes brother.
Addressing the rumor, Gatiss, who plays the role of Mycroft Holmes in the series, admitted during a recent Q&A in Brazil that Hiddleston - best known for playing Loki in the "Thor" films - would indeed be a good choice.
"Tom would be wonderful in Sherlock," Gatiss said, according to Mirror. "But he only does movies now. What can I say?... Well it's an internet rumor so it must be true. We might as well just wait and see what happens."
But as a section of fans pointed out, the third brother might not be alive if the previous season finale is any indication.
"I'm not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion. You now what happened to the other one," Gatiss’ character tells Sherlock.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga