‘Sherlock’ Season 4 Update: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman to Return for Special Episode?
By Keerthi Mohan | April 28, 2014 8:01 PM EST
Season 4 of “Sherlock” may face a delay of over two years due to lead actors Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman’s busy schedule. However, chances are high that fans will get to see a special episode, much before season 4 airs.
Freeman recently revealed during an appearance on Alan Carr's Channel 4 talk show "Chatty Man" that the show’s co-creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss are planning a special episode.
“Mark Gatiss may beat me up, but there is an idea for this one-off special that’s such a good idea," Freeman said, according to Huffington Post.
"As I was listening to it," Freeman continued, "I thought ‘we’ve just got to do this.' It’s a fantastic, really mouth-watering idea. But I really don’t know when we are going to get to do it."
The creators have reportedly planned the season 4 storyline already, and Sherlock Holmes’ arch enemy Moriarty will be a key player in the next three-episode season. But the exact storyline of the one-off special is yet to be finalised, according to reports.
However, fans believe the special episode of the detective drama will be a Christmas special as Gatiss had previously labeled The Blue Carbuncle as his favourite Holmes adventure.
Meanwhile, internet is abuzz with speculations that Tom Hiddleston will join the “Sherlock” cast, and will portray the role of the third Holmes brother.
Addressing the rumor, Gatiss, who plays the role of Mycroft Holmes in the series, admitted during a recent Q&A in Brazil that Hiddleston - best known for playing Loki in the "Thor" films - would indeed be a good choice.
"Tom would be wonderful in Sherlock," Gatiss said, according to Mirror. "But he only does movies now. What can I say?... Well it's an internet rumor so it must be true. We might as well just wait and see what happens."
But as a section of fans pointed out, the third brother might not be alive if the previous season finale is any indication.
"I'm not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion. You now what happened to the other one," Gatiss’ character tells Sherlock.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales