Kiwis Outraged Over Alleged ‘The Lego Movie’ Insult of ‘Middle Zealand’
By Anne Lu | April 28, 2014 5:30 PM EST
“The Lego Movie” is accused of insulting New Zealand. A line in the blockbuster film describing “Middle Zealand” as land of illiterate and poverty has sparked outrage, prompting filmmakers to explain the reference.
The film, which was released in New Zealand earlier in April, tells the story of a Lego worker minifigure who is prophesied to save the Lego universe.
One of the characters is a Gandalf-looking wizard named Vitruvius, voiced by Morgan Freeman, who describes a place called Middle Zealand as a “wondrous land full of knights, castles, mutton, torture weapons, poverty, leeches, illiteracy, and, um, dragons.”
That’s the line that has some Kiwis scratching their heads.
According to moviegoer Stu Fleming, who watched the film with his partner and their seven-year-old son on Thursday, there were members of the audience in the theatre who laughed, but there were also those who appeared to be baffled by the film’s description of the country.
“It was like when soemone’s made a bit of an odd joke and you are not sure how to react, which was how we felt,” he was quoted by the APNZ as saying.
Directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller defended the line, saying that they were not making fun of the country, but a fictional place based on Middle Earth, the setting of the novels and films “Lord of the Rings.”
“We called it Middle Zealand because that is where Lord of the Rings was shot, and Peter Jackson [director of LOTR] hangs out there,” they told the Herald on Sunday.
“We are, incidentally, huge fans of New Zealand, LOTR, Weta, island nations, and the film Eagle vs Shark.”
The film is distributed by Warner Bros, which also produced “The Hobbit” trilogy, which was granted $67 million tax breaks in 2010 for the production of the trilogy in New Zealand,
Prime Minister John Key was confident that most people would take the allegedly offensive line in “The Lego Movie” “for what it is – a light-hearted line in a children’s fantasy film.”
However, New Zealand First leader Winston Peters wants harsher punishment for the supposed insult. He has asked Warner Bros to give back the $67 million subsidy that the studio got for “The Hobbit.”
He said that he assumed “The Lego Movie” line was referring to the country’s “financial illiteracy.”
Opposition tourism spokeswoman Darien Fenton also said that Key should use his contracts to tell the film studio that the “Middle Zealand” references were not on.
“The Lego Movie” has grossed USD1.97 billion in the box office so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related