NBA News: Steve Kerr Meets with Phil Jackson on New York Job
By James Patrick Quizon | April 28, 2014 2:45 PM EST
Since firing Mike Woodson at the end of the regular season, Phil Jackson has identified Steve Kerr as one of the frontrunners for the head coaching gig. After a meeting between the Zen Master and former Chicago Bulls ward, it appears that Kerr has the inside track for the position.
Jackson looks up during a news conference announcing him as the team president of the New York Knicks basketball team at Madison Square Garden in New York
“We talked about the coaching position and we’ll keep talking,” said the 48-year-old to the New York Daily News. “I’ve made it pretty clear the past couple of years that I’d like to get into coaching, and now it’s sort of out there. It’s like anything else, you have to explore it and that’s what we’re doing.”
Kerr admitted that his lack of coaching experience will be his disadvantage when compared to the other coaching candidates.
“I also knew that the mark against me is a lack of experience. I think the general managing experience was huge for me. But I have not had coaching experience. So I’ve done everything possible to try to prepare, short of actually being an assistant (coach). I’ve been working for Turner (Sports), it’s a dream job, I love what I’m doing.”
Kerr, who served as the Phoenix Suns general manager in 2006-2007, also admitted that the Bulls connection is the one of the primary reasons why he’s considered the job and why Jackson is considering him for the gig.
“It’s the only reason I’m talking to them, I wouldn’t have known anybody else in the Knicks’ organization,” said Kerr. “The fact that Phil took this job was the connection. Of course, he was my coach and I have a ton of respect for him. And I’m honored that he’s talking to me about the job.”
“I learned a lot of basketball from him and Tex Winter, so I think it’s safe to say we have a lot of the same ideas. As far as getting into the details of the Triangle and that sort of thing I’m not going to expand on that, but obviously there’s a strong connection between us and our beliefs.”
Kerr played for the Bulls from 1993 to 1998—all under Jackson.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6