NBA News: Steve Kerr Meets with Phil Jackson on New York Job
By James Patrick Quizon | April 28, 2014 2:45 PM EST
Since firing Mike Woodson at the end of the regular season, Phil Jackson has identified Steve Kerr as one of the frontrunners for the head coaching gig. After a meeting between the Zen Master and former Chicago Bulls ward, it appears that Kerr has the inside track for the position.
Jackson looks up during a news conference announcing him as the team president of the New York Knicks basketball team at Madison Square Garden in New York
“We talked about the coaching position and we’ll keep talking,” said the 48-year-old to the New York Daily News. “I’ve made it pretty clear the past couple of years that I’d like to get into coaching, and now it’s sort of out there. It’s like anything else, you have to explore it and that’s what we’re doing.”
Kerr admitted that his lack of coaching experience will be his disadvantage when compared to the other coaching candidates.
“I also knew that the mark against me is a lack of experience. I think the general managing experience was huge for me. But I have not had coaching experience. So I’ve done everything possible to try to prepare, short of actually being an assistant (coach). I’ve been working for Turner (Sports), it’s a dream job, I love what I’m doing.”
Kerr, who served as the Phoenix Suns general manager in 2006-2007, also admitted that the Bulls connection is the one of the primary reasons why he’s considered the job and why Jackson is considering him for the gig.
“It’s the only reason I’m talking to them, I wouldn’t have known anybody else in the Knicks’ organization,” said Kerr. “The fact that Phil took this job was the connection. Of course, he was my coach and I have a ton of respect for him. And I’m honored that he’s talking to me about the job.”
“I learned a lot of basketball from him and Tex Winter, so I think it’s safe to say we have a lot of the same ideas. As far as getting into the details of the Triangle and that sort of thing I’m not going to expand on that, but obviously there’s a strong connection between us and our beliefs.”
Kerr played for the Bulls from 1993 to 1998—all under Jackson.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015