Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Receives Android 4.4 Kitkat Update Ahead of Galaxy S3
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 28, 2014 2:18 PM EST
The South Korean tech company started rolling out Android 4.4 KitKat update for its second generation Galaxy Note smartphone. Users in Europe will be the first to get the taste of the chocolatey mobile software, most specifically in France. The update will then roll out to different parts of Europe.
According to SamMobile, the new firmware brings a number of enhancements included in the latest version of Google's platform, as well as many Samsung-made improvements and tweaks. Some of the noticeable changes in the smartphone-tablet hybrid are full-screen album art, camera shortcut on the lock screen, wireless printing support, NFC tap-to-pay, options to set default messaging and launcher apps and better stability. There's also Samsung KNOX support to enable more secure communication and Samsung Wallet.
Previous reports claimed that Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4.2 Kitkat OS update will roll out in May. Android Origin stated that not all Samsung Galaxy Note 2 models will receive an update.
Some of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 models that will receive the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat OS update are: International GT-N7100, China Unicom Gt-N7102, International GT-N7105, China Mobile GT-N7108, Verizon SCH-i605, US Cellular SCH-R950, AT&T SGH-i317, Bell, Rogers, SaskTel and Telus SGH-i317M, T-Mobile SGH-T889, Mobilicity, Videotron and WIND SGH-T889V, Sprint SPH-L900, China Telecom SCH-N719, NTT DoCoMo SGH-N025, KT SHV-E250K, LG U+ SHV-E250L, and SK Telecom SHV-E250S.
However, the roll out will be gradual as Samsung will have to send the 4.4.2 Kitkat update to carriers for certification, which may take quite a while and will be dependent on carrier's own speed of roll out. Thus, it is expected that not all devices will have the update by the end of May and it could take months.
Meanwhile, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 users can manually check their devices if the said update is already available. Go to Settings > About Phone and see if you have a notification for OS update.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary