Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Receives Android 4.4 Kitkat Update Ahead of Galaxy S3
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 28, 2014 2:18 PM EST
The South Korean tech company started rolling out Android 4.4 KitKat update for its second generation Galaxy Note smartphone. Users in Europe will be the first to get the taste of the chocolatey mobile software, most specifically in France. The update will then roll out to different parts of Europe.
According to SamMobile, the new firmware brings a number of enhancements included in the latest version of Google's platform, as well as many Samsung-made improvements and tweaks. Some of the noticeable changes in the smartphone-tablet hybrid are full-screen album art, camera shortcut on the lock screen, wireless printing support, NFC tap-to-pay, options to set default messaging and launcher apps and better stability. There's also Samsung KNOX support to enable more secure communication and Samsung Wallet.
Previous reports claimed that Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4.2 Kitkat OS update will roll out in May. Android Origin stated that not all Samsung Galaxy Note 2 models will receive an update.
Some of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 models that will receive the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat OS update are: International GT-N7100, China Unicom Gt-N7102, International GT-N7105, China Mobile GT-N7108, Verizon SCH-i605, US Cellular SCH-R950, AT&T SGH-i317, Bell, Rogers, SaskTel and Telus SGH-i317M, T-Mobile SGH-T889, Mobilicity, Videotron and WIND SGH-T889V, Sprint SPH-L900, China Telecom SCH-N719, NTT DoCoMo SGH-N025, KT SHV-E250K, LG U+ SHV-E250L, and SK Telecom SHV-E250S.
However, the roll out will be gradual as Samsung will have to send the 4.4.2 Kitkat update to carriers for certification, which may take quite a while and will be dependent on carrier's own speed of roll out. Thus, it is expected that not all devices will have the update by the end of May and it could take months.
Meanwhile, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 users can manually check their devices if the said update is already available. Go to Settings > About Phone and see if you have a notification for OS update.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family