Dave Grohl Praises Lorde, Says She Gives Hope for the Future of Pop Music [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | April 28, 2014 2:13 PM EST
Dave Grohl has some high praises for newcomer Lorde. The Foo Fighters rocker said the young Kiwi singer gives hope for the future of pop music.
Earlier in April, Lorde stunned the audience at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony in New York when she performed a rendition of “All Apologies” with Nirvana. But that wasn’t the first time Grohl first heard the 17-year-old songstress sing.
Singer Lorde (C) talks with Dave Grohl on stage with Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth (R), Annie Clark of St. Vincent (L), and Krist Novoselic after Nirvana was inducted during the 29th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York April 11, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
The 45-year-old former Nirvana drummer remembered fondly the first time he heard Lorde.
“I was driving,” he told Rolling Stone magazine. “My two daughters, Violet and Harper, who are eight and five years old, started singing along. I was so happy and relieved that my two girls were singing a popular song on the radio that had some substance and depth, which I considered to be healthy for them as kids. I know that sounds kind of parent-ish.”
That’s such a high praise coming from Grohl, who doesn’t think much of other pop singers today.
“When I first heard ‘Royals’ it was sandwiched between all of that other stripper pop,” he continued.
“I was so f****** relieved. I thought, ‘Hey, this might be another revolution.’ When I met her I said, ‘When I first heard your song on the radio and my kids sang along I felt like there was hope for my kids to grow up in an environment which is more than just superficial.”
Indeed, Lorde was perfect to front Nirvana at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony on April 10, where the living members of the grunge rock group – Grohl, basist Krist Novoselic, and guitarist Pat Smear – were inducted to the prestigious and exclusive club.
“There’s something about her that represented or resembled the Nirvana aesthetic. She has an incredible future ahead of her as a writer, performer and vocalist.”
Grohl wasn’t the only Nirvana who appears to like Lorde. Earlier in March, Novoselic gave tribute to the Grammy winner by playing “Royals” on accordion.
Lorde was born in 1996, two years after Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain committed suicide. She was one of the four women invited by Nirvana to sing the band’s songs at the ceremony, with the others being Joan Jett, Sonic Youth vocalist Kim Gordon, and St Vincent.
Lorde sings “All Apologies”
Krist Novoselic plays Lorde’s “Royals” on the accordion
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown