Dave Grohl Praises Lorde, Says She Gives Hope for the Future of Pop Music [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | April 28, 2014 2:13 PM EST
Dave Grohl has some high praises for newcomer Lorde. The Foo Fighters rocker said the young Kiwi singer gives hope for the future of pop music.
Earlier in April, Lorde stunned the audience at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony in New York when she performed a rendition of “All Apologies” with Nirvana. But that wasn’t the first time Grohl first heard the 17-year-old songstress sing.
Singer Lorde (C) talks with Dave Grohl on stage with Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth (R), Annie Clark of St. Vincent (L), and Krist Novoselic after Nirvana was inducted during the 29th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York April 11, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
The 45-year-old former Nirvana drummer remembered fondly the first time he heard Lorde.
“I was driving,” he told Rolling Stone magazine. “My two daughters, Violet and Harper, who are eight and five years old, started singing along. I was so happy and relieved that my two girls were singing a popular song on the radio that had some substance and depth, which I considered to be healthy for them as kids. I know that sounds kind of parent-ish.”
That’s such a high praise coming from Grohl, who doesn’t think much of other pop singers today.
“When I first heard ‘Royals’ it was sandwiched between all of that other stripper pop,” he continued.
“I was so f****** relieved. I thought, ‘Hey, this might be another revolution.’ When I met her I said, ‘When I first heard your song on the radio and my kids sang along I felt like there was hope for my kids to grow up in an environment which is more than just superficial.”
Indeed, Lorde was perfect to front Nirvana at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony on April 10, where the living members of the grunge rock group – Grohl, basist Krist Novoselic, and guitarist Pat Smear – were inducted to the prestigious and exclusive club.
“There’s something about her that represented or resembled the Nirvana aesthetic. She has an incredible future ahead of her as a writer, performer and vocalist.”
Grohl wasn’t the only Nirvana who appears to like Lorde. Earlier in March, Novoselic gave tribute to the Grammy winner by playing “Royals” on accordion.
Lorde was born in 1996, two years after Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain committed suicide. She was one of the four women invited by Nirvana to sing the band’s songs at the ceremony, with the others being Joan Jett, Sonic Youth vocalist Kim Gordon, and St Vincent.
Lorde sings “All Apologies”
Krist Novoselic plays Lorde’s “Royals” on the accordion
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date