Dave Grohl Praises Lorde, Says She Gives Hope for the Future of Pop Music [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | April 28, 2014 2:13 PM EST
Dave Grohl has some high praises for newcomer Lorde. The Foo Fighters rocker said the young Kiwi singer gives hope for the future of pop music.
Earlier in April, Lorde stunned the audience at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony in New York when she performed a rendition of “All Apologies” with Nirvana. But that wasn’t the first time Grohl first heard the 17-year-old songstress sing.
Singer Lorde (C) talks with Dave Grohl on stage with Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth (R), Annie Clark of St. Vincent (L), and Krist Novoselic after Nirvana was inducted during the 29th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York April 11, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
The 45-year-old former Nirvana drummer remembered fondly the first time he heard Lorde.
“I was driving,” he told Rolling Stone magazine. “My two daughters, Violet and Harper, who are eight and five years old, started singing along. I was so happy and relieved that my two girls were singing a popular song on the radio that had some substance and depth, which I considered to be healthy for them as kids. I know that sounds kind of parent-ish.”
That’s such a high praise coming from Grohl, who doesn’t think much of other pop singers today.
“When I first heard ‘Royals’ it was sandwiched between all of that other stripper pop,” he continued.
“I was so f****** relieved. I thought, ‘Hey, this might be another revolution.’ When I met her I said, ‘When I first heard your song on the radio and my kids sang along I felt like there was hope for my kids to grow up in an environment which is more than just superficial.”
Indeed, Lorde was perfect to front Nirvana at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony on April 10, where the living members of the grunge rock group – Grohl, basist Krist Novoselic, and guitarist Pat Smear – were inducted to the prestigious and exclusive club.
“There’s something about her that represented or resembled the Nirvana aesthetic. She has an incredible future ahead of her as a writer, performer and vocalist.”
Grohl wasn’t the only Nirvana who appears to like Lorde. Earlier in March, Novoselic gave tribute to the Grammy winner by playing “Royals” on accordion.
Lorde was born in 1996, two years after Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain committed suicide. She was one of the four women invited by Nirvana to sing the band’s songs at the ceremony, with the others being Joan Jett, Sonic Youth vocalist Kim Gordon, and St Vincent.
Lorde sings “All Apologies”
Krist Novoselic plays Lorde’s “Royals” on the accordion
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date