5 Killer Reasons to Buy ‘OnePlus One’ Android Smartphone; Specifications, Price, Release Date, Early-Bird Offer
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 28, 2014 2:10 PM EST
The company 'OnePlus' unveiled its first smartphone, the 'One' last week. It is worth noting that, the anticipation around this particular Android Smartphone has been very high and it is touted by many as a flagship killer. OnePlus One runs on CyanogenMod 11S version, which is based on Android 4.4 KitKat and the handset boasts some of the best high-end specifications and features. Here are five reasons why OnePlus One outranks the top seller Android phones like Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2 and HTC One (M8).
Price Factor & Release Date
OnePlus One smartphone is priced cheaper than other flagship smartphones ruling the market; however, the cheaper price tag does not compromise the features.
- A 16GB variant can be purchased at $299/€269
- A 64GB variant can be purchased at $349/€299
This handset will be available in about 16 markets. The first 100 OnePlus One handsets will be available starting April 25 via the company's 'Smash promotion' offer; where users can apply to smash their existing handsets in exchange for a OnePlus One handset, which will cost only $1.
In addition, the 100 users will also receive OnePlus One purchase invites. Interested buyers with invites will be able to purchase the handset by the mid or the end of May, according to BGR.
Top-Notch Hardware Specification
OnePlus One handset is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 quad-core (Krait 400) processor clocked at 2.5 GHz.
- 5.5 inches IPS display with FHD resolution,
- 3 GB of RAM,
- 16 GB or 64GB of internal storage,
- Protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3,
- Has magnesium housing,
- 13 MP primary camera, 6-lens Sony Exmor camera with f/2.0 aperture, dual LED flash and 4K video capture support,
- 5 MP front-facing camera,
- A whopping 3100 mAh battery,
- 4G LTE and download speeds of up to 150 Mbps,
- No microSD support,
- Supports NFC
Powerful Software Combination (Android 4.4.2 KitKat under CyanogenMod 11S)
For starters, OnePlus One is an Android smartphone with the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat but the twist comes in the form of CyanogenMod 11S. It is a community- driven program which takes pure Android as a foundation and builds additional features on top of it.
Nevertheless, CyanogenMod is not heavily-skinned like HTC's Sense or Samsung's TouchWiz User Interface; instead CyanogenMod goes easy on its implementation. This makes the user experience feel seamless and there is no lag.
Intricate Design and Detail
The handset is housed in a magnesium casing which weighs 162 g. With a 5.5 inches display, the handset is only 8.9mm thick and it is touted as ergonomic-friendly and easy to hold, with a tapered edge of only 4.6mm.
Endless User Customization
The handsets back covering is changeable and there are umpteen designs and accessories that OnePlus One offers to be purchased separately. Some of the options include denim, wood, bamboo and Kevlar panel.
What do you think about OnePlus One? Will this handset give tough competition to the existing top-sellers? Feel free to leave a comment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- New Zealand's Largest Snack Food Company Bought for NZ$700 Million
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People