5 Killer Reasons to Buy ‘OnePlus One’ Android Smartphone; Specifications, Price, Release Date, Early-Bird Offer
By Pavithra Rathinavel | April 28, 2014 2:10 PM EST
The company 'OnePlus' unveiled its first smartphone, the 'One' last week. It is worth noting that, the anticipation around this particular Android Smartphone has been very high and it is touted by many as a flagship killer. OnePlus One runs on CyanogenMod 11S version, which is based on Android 4.4 KitKat and the handset boasts some of the best high-end specifications and features. Here are five reasons why OnePlus One outranks the top seller Android phones like Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2 and HTC One (M8).
Price Factor & Release Date
OnePlus One smartphone is priced cheaper than other flagship smartphones ruling the market; however, the cheaper price tag does not compromise the features.
- A 16GB variant can be purchased at $299/€269
- A 64GB variant can be purchased at $349/€299
This handset will be available in about 16 markets. The first 100 OnePlus One handsets will be available starting April 25 via the company's 'Smash promotion' offer; where users can apply to smash their existing handsets in exchange for a OnePlus One handset, which will cost only $1.
In addition, the 100 users will also receive OnePlus One purchase invites. Interested buyers with invites will be able to purchase the handset by the mid or the end of May, according to BGR.
Top-Notch Hardware Specification
OnePlus One handset is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 quad-core (Krait 400) processor clocked at 2.5 GHz.
- 5.5 inches IPS display with FHD resolution,
- 3 GB of RAM,
- 16 GB or 64GB of internal storage,
- Protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3,
- Has magnesium housing,
- 13 MP primary camera, 6-lens Sony Exmor camera with f/2.0 aperture, dual LED flash and 4K video capture support,
- 5 MP front-facing camera,
- A whopping 3100 mAh battery,
- 4G LTE and download speeds of up to 150 Mbps,
- No microSD support,
- Supports NFC
Powerful Software Combination (Android 4.4.2 KitKat under CyanogenMod 11S)
For starters, OnePlus One is an Android smartphone with the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat but the twist comes in the form of CyanogenMod 11S. It is a community- driven program which takes pure Android as a foundation and builds additional features on top of it.
Nevertheless, CyanogenMod is not heavily-skinned like HTC's Sense or Samsung's TouchWiz User Interface; instead CyanogenMod goes easy on its implementation. This makes the user experience feel seamless and there is no lag.
Intricate Design and Detail
The handset is housed in a magnesium casing which weighs 162 g. With a 5.5 inches display, the handset is only 8.9mm thick and it is touted as ergonomic-friendly and easy to hold, with a tapered edge of only 4.6mm.
Endless User Customization
The handsets back covering is changeable and there are umpteen designs and accessories that OnePlus One offers to be purchased separately. Some of the options include denim, wood, bamboo and Kevlar panel.
What do you think about OnePlus One? Will this handset give tough competition to the existing top-sellers? Feel free to leave a comment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc. Stock Surge Observed as Hedge Funds 'Feasted' Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Perfume Maker Elizabeth Arden Blames Poor Q4 Financial Results on Justin Bieber Scent
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists