PFA Awards: Luis Suarez Wins Player of the Year; Liverpool, Chelsea Players Highlight Team of the Year
By Deepak Vikraman | April 28, 2014 1:57 PM EST
It was a one-horse race really, and the only horse in the running expectedly won the PFA Player of the Year award with Luis Suarez having something to shout about after a rather forgettable Sunday for him and his Liverpool side.
Liverpool striker Luis Suarez celebrates after scoring against Cardiff in the English Premier League, 22 March. Reuters
Suarez has been the main reason behind Liverpool's resurgence this season, the driving force behind the Reds' title tilt, and with the Uruguayan keeping off-field and on-field controversies very much in the back burner, the results have been splendid.
The Liverpool striker has already bagged 30 goals and 12 assists in the English Premier League this season, with his team lying on top of the table at the moment despite the disappointing 2-0 defeat to Chelsea at Anfield on Sunday, a result which ended their remarkable 11-match winning run in the Premier League.
"The Premier League is full of really great players and so it is a great honour when these players recognise your work on the pitch," Suarez said.
"I always try my best for the team and it is nice to get awards but really this is for my teammates and the staff at Liverpool, because without their help I wouldn't have this prize."
Suarez beat out competition from two of his teammates - Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard - along with Chelsea playmaker Eden Hazard, Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure and Southampton talisman Adam Lallana.
Hazard did have something to cheer about, other than his team's massive win over Liverpool, of course, with the Belgian international winning the PFA Young Player of the Year award. Hazard won the award beating the likes of Ross Barkley of Everton, Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey, Sturridge and his Liverpool teammate Raheem Sterling and Southampton left-back Luke Shaw.
Three Liverpool players - Gerrard, Sturridge and Suarez -- made the cut for the team of the year, with three Chelsea players - Petr Cech, Gary Cahill and Hazard - joining them, along with Seamus Coleman, Shaw, Lallana, Vincent Kompany and Toure.
A Liverpool player also won the Women's Player of the Year award, with defender Lucy Bronze taking home the prize. Bronze's new teammate Martha Harris took home the Young Player of the Year gong for her performance with Notts County (formerly Lincoln Ladies).
Award List: Men: PFA Player of the Year: Luis Suarez (Liverpool).
Young Player of the Year: Eden Hazard (Chelsea).
English Premier League Team of the Year: Petr Cech (Chelsea); Seamus Coleman (Everton), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Luke Shaw (Southampton); Eden Hazard (Chelsea), Yaya Toure (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton); Luis Suarez (Liverpool), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool).
Women: PFA Player of the Year: Lucy Bronze (Liverpool).
Young Player of the Year: Martha Harris (Notts County).
Team of the Year: Siobhan Chamberlain (Bristol Academy); Lucy Bronze (Liverpool), Jemma Rose (Bristol Academy), Gemma Bonner (Liverpool), Martha Harris (Notts County); Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Fara Williams (Liverpool), Gemma Davison (Arsenal), Nicole Rolser (Liverpool); Danielle Carter (Arsenal), Natasha Dowie (Liverpool).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy