Liverpool FC Transfer News: Reds to Sign Two La Liga Defenders for £28million
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 28, 2014 1:34 PM EST
Liverpool are reported to be initialising a move for La Liga defenders in Barcelona's Javier Mascherano and Real Madrid's Fabio Coentrao.
Liverpool are reported to be making a move to sign Barcelona's Javier Mascherano and Real Madrid's Fabio Coentrao
With only two more games to play in the Premier League, the Reds have already secured a slot in Europe's elite tournament - the Champions League - next season and will be looking to strengthen their side by adding depth to their squad, particularly the defensive line, to confront a busier year ahead.
While featuring for the Catalan club quite regularly this term, the Argentine has been deployed as a centre-back, in lieu of any of the unavailable first-choices, Carles Puyol and Gerrard Pique, which is not his natural and preferred position, being a holding midfielder.
Aside from invaluable experiences he has gained throughout his playing career, a switch to the Merseyside might prove advantageous to Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers because the 29-year-old has already proven that he can play in England's top-flight.
Meanwhile, the Portuguese left-back has found himself out of favour at the Bernabeu under the reign of Carlo Ancelloti, getting the starting nod only 7 times in the domestic league and is primarily used as a reserve.
He is expected to be rotated on the left side of defence along with Jon Flanagan, with loanee Aly Cissokho returning to his mother club, Valencia, when the season ends, while injury-prone Jose Enrique might be offered to move elsewhere.
Caught Offide suggests that Liverpool are willing to offer £16million for Mascherano and £12million for Arbeloa.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports