Australia In for a Solar Eclipse Spectacle
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 28, 2014 1:17 PM EST
The world will have its first solar eclipse of the year on Tuesday, April 29. And Australia will have the best view of the event.
The moon passes in front of the sun during a full solar eclipse at Palm Grove near the northern Australian city of Cairns
Known as an annular solar eclipse, where the moon is outlined by a dazzling ring of sunlight, the so-called "ring of fire" is only visible from Antarctica. Other areas or regions can only have partial views. Observers in parts of Australia should be able to catch a glimpse of that partial eclipse.
Australians in Melbourne and Sydney will see the moon cover 65 per cent of the sun's disk in a partial solar eclipse visible shortly before sunset, while for those in Western Australia, it will be earlier in the afternoon.
Space.com is providing two webcasts so viewers can see the solar eclipse beginning at 2am EDT (0600 GMT) on Tuesday.
In all of Australia, it seems it's the northern part which will get the best view seat because less moon will cover the sun.
The eclipse will begin at 4.14 p.m. (local time) in Sydney and will approximately cover the sun by 52 per cent at 5.15pm.
Skywatchers will only be able to view the end of the solar eclipse in western Australia.
In Perth, the eclipse begins at 1.17pm (local time), covering the sun by 59 per cent at 2.42pm before ending at 3.59pm.
Folks from Tasmania can also view the eclipse. From Hobart, it will begin at 3.51pm (local time) and the maximum eclipse will be at 5pm.
The 2014 Annular Solar Eclipse can also be viewed here.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery