NBA News: Commissioner Silver Assures ‘Quick Investigation’ and ‘Due Process” on Sterling Controversy
By James Patrick Quizon | April 28, 2014 1:16 PM EST
NBA: Playoffs-Golden State Warriors at Los Angeles Clippers
"All members of the NBA family should be afforded due process and a fair opportunity to present their side of any controversy," Silver said in an official NBA statement.
"The core of the investigation is understanding whether the tape is authentic, interviewing Mr. Sterling and interviewing the woman as well and understanding the context in which it was recorded."
"There are broad powers in place under the NBA's constitution and bylaws that include a range of sanctions. All of those will be considered depending on the findings of our investigation," added Silver, who took over the top position in the league in February 1, 2014.
Popular media outfit TMZ released a tape purportedly containing racist remarks from Sterling. During the rant where the 78-year-old was talking to a former girlfriend, he was caught saying a few racist-filled remarks that have so far drawn the ire of the players, former players, coaches and NBA fans in general.
“You don’t have to have yourself with, walking with black people,” Sterling said in the recorded conversation with a certain V. Stiviano. “Don’t put him on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don’t bring him to my games.”
“You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games.”
Sterling is already infamous for being a widely controversial racist as confirmed by past players and business associates.
“That’s the way it is…He is honest about what he believes in..Been going on for a long time, Hats off 2 the Team.. 4 playin above it all,” posted former Clipper Baron Davis.
In 2005, Sterling paid $5 million to victims of discrimination in one of his real estate establishments. In 2009, he paid $2.73 million for settlement on allegations by the United States government that he refused Latinos, African-Americans and families with children in Los Angeles.
With the racism controversy being a distraction, the Los Angeles Clippers lost to the Golden State Warriors in Los Angeles in Game 4 of their best-of-seven series. The first round match-up is now tied at 2-2 with Game 5 set on Tuesday.
Can the Clippers indeed play above the controversy?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan