Marijuana Miracle: Epileptic Child Who Suffered 100 Seizures Daily 'Gets Cured’ After Using the Herb
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 28, 2014 1:01 PM EST
Marijuana admirers have long been sharing their opinions regarding the herb's medical uses. Sarah Wilkinson, a Canadian mother, has good claims about marijuana's effect on her disabled daughter.
A participant practices rolling a joint at the Cannabis Carnivalus 4/20 event in Seattle, Washington April 20, 2014. Thousands of marijuana enthusiasts gathered in Colorado and Washington state over the weekend for an annual celebration of cannabis culture with rallies, concerts and trade shows in the first two states to legalize recreational marijuana.
Mia, Wilkinson's 8-year-old daughter, used to have around 100 seizures daily. But she claimed her daughter has had only seven seizures in the past 8 months, thanks to medical marijuana. Apparently, this has changed the life of little Mia and her family. The Wilkinsons do not hesitate to call marijuana a "miracle."
Toronto Sun reported Mia had her first seizure when she was 29 minutes old. The mother called it "absolutely terrifying" to find out her daughter was epileptic right after her birth. She said she was "thrust into the world of seizure disorders" right away. The mother said she thought that the problem would be solved in due course. But the doctor told the parents that the case was "terminal."
Little Mia has been suffering from Ohtahara syndrome since birth. The epilepsy syndrome is extremely rare. The typical reason of the disorder is brain abnormality. It is generally fatal during the first couple of years after birth. Children like Mia, who survive longer, are left with severe disabilities. Mia's parents, like the others, searched for some remedy which would reduce the number of seizures, some of which would last for even 22 hours.
After the neurologist said there was nothing that could be done, things became really difficult for Mia's parents. With hardly any pharmaceutical options left in hand, marijuana was the only chance they could have taken.
Marijuana showed positive results among epileptic patients, but Mia was too young to try. Her parents took a chance anyway. The mother did not have much conviction about using marijuana as a form of medication. She thought it was a means of getting high. The parents of the baby girl who adore Lady Gaga signed a "no resuscitation" order and get marijuana for their daughter.
Mia showed radical improvements only after a single day of using marijuana. Her seizures stopped within the first 24 hours. When her brain went through an electroencephalography test, it could be observed that her brain, for some reasons, was calmed by the herb. Doctors were still clueless how marijuana did the unexpected.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- Demi Lovato Battled Bulimia and Negative Body Image: Turns into Role Model For Many; Her Diet and Fitness Routine
- One-Year-Old Baby In Melbourne Hospital With Ebola-Like Symptoms
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia