Emma Watson Confirmed to Cast and Produce in New Trilogy ‘The Queen of the Tearling’
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 28, 2014 12:38 PM EST
Emma Watson will be up for another busy year taking the lead role in the fantasy franchise “The Queen of the Tearling” to be produced by the “Harry Potter” makers, Warner Bros and producer David Heyman.
Cast member Emma Watson arrives for the UK Premiere of "Noah" at Leicester Square in London, March 31, 2014.
Following the hit Biblical movie, “Noah” where she starred as Ila, Noah’s (Russell Crowe) daughter-in-law, the 24-year-old star reportedly signed up to do the “The Queen of the Tearling” trilogy, the movie adaptations of the books of the same title by Erika Johansen.
According to the New York Post, the book is partly inspired by a speech delivered by President Barack Obama while he was still senator way back in 2007. Johansen was said to receive a hefty seven-figure deal in advance for the rights to a movie franchise.
“The Queen of the Tearling” is starting to create buzz and being compared to George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones." The upcoming movie is also touted to be the next “Hunger Games” and to follow the worldwide success of other blockbuster fantasies like the “Divergent,” “Avatar” and the “Percy Jackson” series, among others. Whether the ending of the book will be split into two movies—which is likely a trend—is unknown until the “Tearling’s” first franchise will hit the big screen.
Emma Watson has been speculated to play Princess Kelsea Raleigh Glynn since early 2013. While the actress has been doubtful of doing another franchise again, and has been “desperate to hate it,” the story of the “The Queen of the Tearling,” as well as the character of the protagonist, seemed to have won her heart.
“Unfortunately, I didn’t sleep for about a week because I couldn’t put the bloody thing down. It would be fair to say I became obsessed with the role and the book. Now I am executive-producing it,” said Watson in the Wonderland magazine interview, as reported by the New York Post.
Interestingly, despite its past century-sounding title, “The Queen of the Tearling” is no story of the medieval age. Like the “Hunger Games” and the “Divergent” series, “Tearling” happens in a dystopian future, leaping 300 years from now. However, in the world created by Johansen, there is no way people can use technology. Instead, they are back into the era where kingdoms and royalties hold society and where the lot of slavery is done via a lottery raffle as an offer to the evil Red Queen.
Princess Kelsea to be played by Watson is described as plain, insecure and a little fat. If the character is to be strictly followed, the pretty and petite Emma may need to gain a few pounds to play her character.
Meanwhile, there are no surfacing reports on when “The Queen of the Tearling” will start production as of this writing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- 'Personal' By Lee Child Tops The New York Times Best Sellers List Of Combined Print And E-Book Fiction For The Week Of Sept. 21, 2014
- ‘Winds of Winter’ Fans' Speculation: Cersei Lannister As Regent
- Top 5 Best-Selling Young Adult Fiction Books For The Week Of Sept. 21, 2014 Including 'If I Stay' By Gayle Forman And ‘The Fault In Our Stars’ By John Green
- Pre-Order Booking Of ‘The Walking Dead’ Star Norman Reedus’ New Book ‘Thanks For All The Niceness’ Is On
- Next ‘Game of Thrones’ Book Releasing Soon
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown