Australian Stock Market Report – Morning 4/28/14
By Craig James, CommSec Chief Economist | April 28, 2014 9:27 AM EST
In US economic data, the ´´flash´´ services index fell from 55.3 to 54.2 in April. The composite purchasing managers index eased from 55.7 to 54.9 in April. But consumer sentiment rose from 82.6 to a 9-month high of 84.1 in April, ahead of forecasts centred on a result near 83.0.
Traders work at the Post that trades Ally Financial Inc. following the IPO on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange April 10, 2014. Shares of auto-lender Ally Financial Inc fell as much as 3 percent in their market debut on Thursday, taking the shine off the biggest U.S. IPO so far this year as investor appetite for big stock offerings shows signs of waning.REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
European shares fell on Friday in response to heightened tensions in Ukraine. Shares in Deutsche Bank lost 2% on a report that it may raise as much as 5 billion euros in capital to meet stress tests and new capital rules. The FTSEurofirst 300 index fell by 0.8%, with the German Dax down by 1.5% while the UK FTSE lost 0.3%. Mining shares were mixed in London trade with shares in BHP Billiton down by 0.3% while shares in Rio Tinto were flat.
US sharemarkets fell on Friday, dragged down by earnings results and investor unease over the situation in Ukraine. Shares in Amazon lost 9.9% on investor disappointment over its earnings result. Shares in Ford Motor lost 3.3% in response to its earnings result. The Dow Jones index fell by 140 points or 0.9% with the S&P 500 down by 0.8% while the Nasdaq fell by almost 73 points or 1.8%. Over the week the Dow Jones lost 0.3%, the S&P 500 lost 0.1% while the Nasdaq fell by 0.5%.
US long-term treasury prices rose for a third straight day on Friday (yields lower) after S&P downgraded Russia´s credit rating. US 2 year yields fell by 2pts to 0.43% while US 10 year yields fell by 2pts to 2.666%. Over the week US 2yr yields rose by 4 points while US 10yr yields fell by 5 points.
Major currencies were mixed in European and US trade on Friday. The Euro held between US$1.3825 and US$1.3850, before ending US trade around US$1.3830. The Aussie dollar held between US92.60c and US92.95c before finishing US trade around US92.75c. And the Japanese yen lifted from 102.38 yen per US dollar to JPY101.96 before ending US trade near JPY102.15.
World oil prices fell on Friday with traders attributing the losses to end-week profit-taking. Traders were watching geopolitical developments in Ukraine and Libya. Brent crude fell by US75c or 0.1% to US$109.58 a barrel while US Nymex fell by US$1.34 or 1.3% to US$100.60 a barrel. Over the week, Brent lost 0.7% and Nymex lost 3.7%.
Base metal prices were generally lower by up to 1.4% (aluminium) on the London Metal Exchange on Friday. But nickel rose by 0.5% and copper rose by 0.2%. Over the week metal prices rose up to 3% (nickel) although aluminium lost 0.8%. The Comex gold futures quote rose by US$10.20 an ounce or 0.8% on Friday to US$1,300.80 per ounce. Over the week gold rose by US$6.90 an ounce. Iron ore fell by US$2.20 a tonne to US$111.00 a tonne on Friday after rising by US$1.00 a tonne the day before. Over the week iron ore lost US$2.30.
Ahead: In Australia the CommSec State of the States report is released. In the US, data on pending home sales and the Dallas Federal Reserve manufacturing survey are issued.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports