Mum of 16-Year-Old Stowaway in Ethiopian Refugee Camp Believes Son Was Looking for Her
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 28, 2014 9:20 AM EST
Yahya Abdi, the Santa Clara teenager who stowed away last week in the wheel well of a Hawaiian Airline jet bound for Hawaii and survived the incident, was in search of his mum who is in a refugee camp in Ethiopia.
An airport apron controller vehicle leads the way for an airplane during strike action by Lufthansa pilots at the Fraport airport in Frankfurt April 3, 2014. Lufthansa pilots were on strike for a second day on Thursday, grounding Germany's largest airline in a row over retirement conditions. The pilots announced a three-day stoppage earlier this week, leading Lufthansa to cancel 3,800 flights, or around nine out of ten flights planned for the period. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach (GERMANY - Tags: BUSINESS EMPLOYMENT TRANSPORT) April 3, 2014
Ubah Mohamed Abdullah, the mother, made the claim in a Voice of America broadcast. She said her son just learned that she is alive, but through the years, her ex-husband, Abdilahi Yusuf Abdi, a cab driver in Santa Clara, told the boy she was dead.
Ubah told VOA, "I know he was looking for me, and I am requesting the US government to help me reunite with my kids."
However, the father said Yahya did not get a good education in Africa and was struggling with math, science and other subjects, and wanted to return to the continent where his grandparents are. "We want to go back, but due to the current living conditions we can't go back," the father said.
Ubah said Abdilah took their three kids to California without her knowledge, and until Yahya's little adventure, she has not heard from them since 2006.
Yahya recalled losing consciousness when the plane took off and woke up already in Kahului Airport where he was eventually spotted by surprised airport workers walking in a dazed state.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- Another Missing Jet: Air Algeria Disappears With 116 on Board
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales