Mum of 16-Year-Old Stowaway in Ethiopian Refugee Camp Believes Son Was Looking for Her
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 28, 2014 9:20 AM EST
Yahya Abdi, the Santa Clara teenager who stowed away last week in the wheel well of a Hawaiian Airline jet bound for Hawaii and survived the incident, was in search of his mum who is in a refugee camp in Ethiopia.
An airport apron controller vehicle leads the way for an airplane during strike action by Lufthansa pilots at the Fraport airport in Frankfurt April 3, 2014. Lufthansa pilots were on strike for a second day on Thursday, grounding Germany's largest airline in a row over retirement conditions. The pilots announced a three-day stoppage earlier this week, leading Lufthansa to cancel 3,800 flights, or around nine out of ten flights planned for the period. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach (GERMANY - Tags: BUSINESS EMPLOYMENT TRANSPORT) April 3, 2014
Ubah Mohamed Abdullah, the mother, made the claim in a Voice of America broadcast. She said her son just learned that she is alive, but through the years, her ex-husband, Abdilahi Yusuf Abdi, a cab driver in Santa Clara, told the boy she was dead.
Ubah told VOA, "I know he was looking for me, and I am requesting the US government to help me reunite with my kids."
However, the father said Yahya did not get a good education in Africa and was struggling with math, science and other subjects, and wanted to return to the continent where his grandparents are. "We want to go back, but due to the current living conditions we can't go back," the father said.
Ubah said Abdilah took their three kids to California without her knowledge, and until Yahya's little adventure, she has not heard from them since 2006.
Yahya recalled losing consciousness when the plane took off and woke up already in Kahului Airport where he was eventually spotted by surprised airport workers walking in a dazed state.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Hotel Bikini Berlin’s Toilet Exposes Guests as They Do Their Thing
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Eighty Dead Bodies Still Scattered around MH17 Crash Site, Australia Says
- Haiti, a Destination Only for the Brave Ones
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools