Mum of 16-Year-Old Stowaway in Ethiopian Refugee Camp Believes Son Was Looking for Her
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 28, 2014 9:20 AM EST
Yahya Abdi, the Santa Clara teenager who stowed away last week in the wheel well of a Hawaiian Airline jet bound for Hawaii and survived the incident, was in search of his mum who is in a refugee camp in Ethiopia.
An airport apron controller vehicle leads the way for an airplane during strike action by Lufthansa pilots at the Fraport airport in Frankfurt April 3, 2014. Lufthansa pilots were on strike for a second day on Thursday, grounding Germany's largest airline in a row over retirement conditions. The pilots announced a three-day stoppage earlier this week, leading Lufthansa to cancel 3,800 flights, or around nine out of ten flights planned for the period. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach (GERMANY - Tags: BUSINESS EMPLOYMENT TRANSPORT) April 3, 2014
Ubah Mohamed Abdullah, the mother, made the claim in a Voice of America broadcast. She said her son just learned that she is alive, but through the years, her ex-husband, Abdilahi Yusuf Abdi, a cab driver in Santa Clara, told the boy she was dead.
Ubah told VOA, "I know he was looking for me, and I am requesting the US government to help me reunite with my kids."
However, the father said Yahya did not get a good education in Africa and was struggling with math, science and other subjects, and wanted to return to the continent where his grandparents are. "We want to go back, but due to the current living conditions we can't go back," the father said.
Ubah said Abdilah took their three kids to California without her knowledge, and until Yahya's little adventure, she has not heard from them since 2006.
Yahya recalled losing consciousness when the plane took off and woke up already in Kahului Airport where he was eventually spotted by surprised airport workers walking in a dazed state.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity