Abbott Government Allocates $2.5 Billion for Heavy Industries to Cut Carbon Emissions
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 28, 2014 9:13 AM EST
In the last Labor-led government, industries had to pay $24 per tonne carbon tax to reduce carbon emissions in the atmosphere. Under Abbott administration, the government would instead pay Australia's heavy industries $2.5 billion to reduce their carbon emissions to meet the federal government's target of 5 per cent reduction or 421 million tonnes of carbon dioxide by 2020.
The plan actually is the centerpiece of the Coalition's direct action plan released by Environment Minister Greg Hunt on Thursday through a white paper. It would involve securing contracts from businesses with proposals to cut their emissions in government auctions every three months.
But some large projects would be allowed to secured funds outside the auctions.
The white paper said those eligible to access the funds are state government, landfill operators, coal and seam gas operators, electricity suppliers and abatement activities that are land-based.
The funds would also open to consortium of businesses and households that offer larger reductions.
Hunt said the funds would have a safeguard mechanism which would not operate until July 2015 to address the potential for some businesses not to meet their commitments. The safeguards would limit the number of covered businesses to 130 which would be Australia's heaviest emitters of CO2.
He estimated the price would be in the vicinity of $6 for every tonne of carbon abatement.
The plan would be hinged on the government repealing the carbon tax, but the Palmer United Party of mining billionaire Clive Palmer has threatened not to support the planned repeal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015