‘Divergent’ Movie: What's Missing from the Book?
By Maychelle Ornos | April 28, 2014 8:04 AM EST
The recent success of the "Divergent" movie, starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James, has proven that Dystopian tales never go out of fashion. While many have enjoyed Neil Burger's adaptation of Veronica Roth's novel, some of the scenes from the book were not shown in the big screen.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James pose at the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California in this file photo taken March 18, 2014. "Divergent," a dystopian thriller based on the young adult book series by newcomer author Veronica Roth, stars Shailene Woodley and was released last month, grossing $116.6 million so far at the U.S. box office. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/Files
Perhaps missing book scenes during movie adaptions is not new, especially when the goal of the director is to focus on the visuals and make heart pounding action stunts, according to sources. So, here are five of what fans all miss from the book (all of which "Divergent" fans have noticed).
1. The gory parts of the book were not shown, especially that part where Edward loses an eye after a butter knife attack. Although according to Comic-Con's interview with actor Ben Lamb, this scene was filmed but was later on scrapped due to the film's PG-13 movie rate.
2. Fans have seen how thrilling it was when Tris and Christina jumped off a moving train and reached a rooftop. But in the book during their Dauntless initiation, a girl was not able to make it and eventually dies.
3. The film was conceptualized to be straightforward that it ignored inserting the four drunk guys who attempted to woe Tris. This was a cute scene from the book, according to Buzz Sugar. Maybe in the next "Divergent" movie series we can already see Theo James' character flirting with some pickup lines.
4. One of the fallback of the movie was Christian Madsen's character Al. In the novel, Al has a great crush on the heroine Tris. This connection would have explained his betrayal in the flick.
5. Kate Winslet's character went beyond its minor role in the book. Jeanine Matthew's leap as a significant spiel is rather a change and not what we all missed. She was not in the Choosing Ceremony nor was she in charge of the Dauntless members. Her character is an all-new addition for the movie, according to Yahoo Movies.
In addition to these missing scenes are the missing characters from the book. The Divergent film did not show the characters of Myra, Uriah and other Dauntless-born, Susan and Robert, Drew and Edward, according to Wattpad.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected