‘Divergent’ Movie: What's Missing from the Book?
By Maychelle Ornos | April 28, 2014 8:04 AM EST
The recent success of the "Divergent" movie, starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James, has proven that Dystopian tales never go out of fashion. While many have enjoyed Neil Burger's adaptation of Veronica Roth's novel, some of the scenes from the book were not shown in the big screen.
Cast members Shailene Woodley and Theo James pose at the premiere of "Divergent" in Los Angeles, California in this file photo taken March 18, 2014. "Divergent," a dystopian thriller based on the young adult book series by newcomer author Veronica Roth, stars Shailene Woodley and was released last month, grossing $116.6 million so far at the U.S. box office. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/Files
Perhaps missing book scenes during movie adaptions is not new, especially when the goal of the director is to focus on the visuals and make heart pounding action stunts, according to sources. So, here are five of what fans all miss from the book (all of which "Divergent" fans have noticed).
1. The gory parts of the book were not shown, especially that part where Edward loses an eye after a butter knife attack. Although according to Comic-Con's interview with actor Ben Lamb, this scene was filmed but was later on scrapped due to the film's PG-13 movie rate.
2. Fans have seen how thrilling it was when Tris and Christina jumped off a moving train and reached a rooftop. But in the book during their Dauntless initiation, a girl was not able to make it and eventually dies.
3. The film was conceptualized to be straightforward that it ignored inserting the four drunk guys who attempted to woe Tris. This was a cute scene from the book, according to Buzz Sugar. Maybe in the next "Divergent" movie series we can already see Theo James' character flirting with some pickup lines.
4. One of the fallback of the movie was Christian Madsen's character Al. In the novel, Al has a great crush on the heroine Tris. This connection would have explained his betrayal in the flick.
5. Kate Winslet's character went beyond its minor role in the book. Jeanine Matthew's leap as a significant spiel is rather a change and not what we all missed. She was not in the Choosing Ceremony nor was she in charge of the Dauntless members. Her character is an all-new addition for the movie, according to Yahoo Movies.
In addition to these missing scenes are the missing characters from the book. The Divergent film did not show the characters of Myra, Uriah and other Dauntless-born, Susan and Robert, Drew and Edward, according to Wattpad.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown