Tennis News: Azarenka’s French Open Stint in Jeopardy with Injury
By James Patrick Quizon | April 27, 2014 11:07 PM EST
One of the top players in women’s tennis, Victoria Azarenka could miss the 2014 French Open because of a spate of injuries of late.
Victoria Azarenka of Belarus disputes a point during her women's singles final match against Serena Williams of the U.S. at Brisbane International tennis tournament. (Reuters)
The 24-year-old Belarusian posted an update of her injury status on Twitter:
Just wanted to give everyone an update on my recovery. Working hard to get fit again. Will be in touch soon... https://t.co/9I1eUSx5XM
— victoria azarenka (@vika7) April 26, 2014
Missing the tournaments in Madrid, Spain and Rome, Italy—both clay court tournaments-- before the second tennis grand slam of the year have raised concerns about her conditioning when Roland Garros 2014 rolls from May 25 to June 8, 2014.
The French Open warm-up tourneys Azarenka is bound to miss are the WTA Mutua Madrid Open from May 3 to May 11 and the WTA Internazionali BNL d'Italia from May 11 to May 18.
Earlier in 2014, Azarenka lost to Agienskza Radwanska of Poland in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Australian Open in January; and to Lauren Davis of United States in the Round of 64 at Indian Wells in March. In both tourneys, she dealt with a left foot injury and that has shown in her performances.
Azarenka has 17 singles' titles in her career including the 2013 and 2012 Australian Open wins. He appeared in two other grand slam finals-- in the 2013 and 2012 US Open. Last year, she reached the semifinals in the 2013 French Open, the farthest she reached in Paris.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features