Tennis News: Azarenka’s French Open Stint in Jeopardy with Injury
By James Patrick Quizon | April 27, 2014 11:07 PM EST
One of the top players in women’s tennis, Victoria Azarenka could miss the 2014 French Open because of a spate of injuries of late.
Victoria Azarenka of Belarus disputes a point during her women's singles final match against Serena Williams of the U.S. at Brisbane International tennis tournament. (Reuters)
The 24-year-old Belarusian posted an update of her injury status on Twitter:
Just wanted to give everyone an update on my recovery. Working hard to get fit again. Will be in touch soon... https://t.co/9I1eUSx5XM
— victoria azarenka (@vika7) April 26, 2014
Missing the tournaments in Madrid, Spain and Rome, Italy—both clay court tournaments-- before the second tennis grand slam of the year have raised concerns about her conditioning when Roland Garros 2014 rolls from May 25 to June 8, 2014.
The French Open warm-up tourneys Azarenka is bound to miss are the WTA Mutua Madrid Open from May 3 to May 11 and the WTA Internazionali BNL d'Italia from May 11 to May 18.
Earlier in 2014, Azarenka lost to Agienskza Radwanska of Poland in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Australian Open in January; and to Lauren Davis of United States in the Round of 64 at Indian Wells in March. In both tourneys, she dealt with a left foot injury and that has shown in her performances.
Azarenka has 17 singles' titles in her career including the 2013 and 2012 Australian Open wins. He appeared in two other grand slam finals-- in the 2013 and 2012 US Open. Last year, she reached the semifinals in the 2013 French Open, the farthest she reached in Paris.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales