IIFA Awards 2014: South Actor Dhanush Wins Best Debutant Award for 'Raanjhanaa'
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 27, 2014 5:17 PM EST
Dhanush has won the best male debutant award at this year's International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA 2014) held in Tampa Bay, Florida on 26 April.
Dhanush with Balki (Varinder Chawla)
The actor bagged the award for his role in his debut Hindi film "Raanjhanaa," which hit the screens last year. After winning the award, Dhanush took to his Twitter page to thanks his fans for their love and support. "My first iifa :) thanks for all the support and love guys. Without your support would n have been here," Dhanush tweeted.
Prior to the release of "Raanjhanaa," there were a lot of buzz about Dhanush's debut in Hindi. Questions were raised as to whether the Tamil actor will be able to make his mark in Bollywood. South Indian actors making bollywood entries is not something new. Several actors have done it in the past and still continue to do so. While the female stars have been able to achieve success in the industry, several male actors have failed to impress the audience barring a few including Rajinikanth and Kamal Haasan.
When Dhanush's (Rajinikanth's son-in-law) debut Hindi film was announced, there were a lot of expectations from the actor. Once "Ranjhaanaa" hit the screens, the actor received praises from all quarters for his fantastic portrayal of an obsessive one-sided lover in the romantic drama. The film, directed by Anand Rai, was not only critically-acclaimed, but also commercially successful.
Dhanush won the best male debut filmfare award for his rollicking performance in "Raanjhanaa" and now he has won the prestigious IIFA Award under the same category.
The actor began his career in Tamil film industry with the 2002-release "Thulluvadho Ilamai." Since then, Dhanush has been part of several notable films including "Kaadhal Konden", "Yaaradi Nee Mohini", "Aadukalam" and "Mariyaan."
The actor won the prestigious national award for best actor a few years ago. He received the award for his brilliant portrayal of a local cock fighter in "Aadukalam," directed by Vetrimaran. The actor-director duo has once agian teamed up for a new film, which went on floors this year.
Besides his Tamil projects, Dhanush will be seen in his second Hindi film directed by Balki of "Paa" fame. The film marks the acting debut of Kamal Haasan's daughter Akshara and also has Amitabh Bachchan in a pivotal role. It remains to be seen if Dhanush will be able to impress the audience once again with the yet-to-be-titled Balki flick.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast