IIFA Awards 2014: South Actor Dhanush Wins Best Debutant Award for 'Raanjhanaa'
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 27, 2014 5:17 PM EST
Dhanush has won the best male debutant award at this year's International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA 2014) held in Tampa Bay, Florida on 26 April.
Dhanush with Balki (Varinder Chawla)
The actor bagged the award for his role in his debut Hindi film "Raanjhanaa," which hit the screens last year. After winning the award, Dhanush took to his Twitter page to thanks his fans for their love and support. "My first iifa :) thanks for all the support and love guys. Without your support would n have been here," Dhanush tweeted.
Prior to the release of "Raanjhanaa," there were a lot of buzz about Dhanush's debut in Hindi. Questions were raised as to whether the Tamil actor will be able to make his mark in Bollywood. South Indian actors making bollywood entries is not something new. Several actors have done it in the past and still continue to do so. While the female stars have been able to achieve success in the industry, several male actors have failed to impress the audience barring a few including Rajinikanth and Kamal Haasan.
When Dhanush's (Rajinikanth's son-in-law) debut Hindi film was announced, there were a lot of expectations from the actor. Once "Ranjhaanaa" hit the screens, the actor received praises from all quarters for his fantastic portrayal of an obsessive one-sided lover in the romantic drama. The film, directed by Anand Rai, was not only critically-acclaimed, but also commercially successful.
Dhanush won the best male debut filmfare award for his rollicking performance in "Raanjhanaa" and now he has won the prestigious IIFA Award under the same category.
The actor began his career in Tamil film industry with the 2002-release "Thulluvadho Ilamai." Since then, Dhanush has been part of several notable films including "Kaadhal Konden", "Yaaradi Nee Mohini", "Aadukalam" and "Mariyaan."
The actor won the prestigious national award for best actor a few years ago. He received the award for his brilliant portrayal of a local cock fighter in "Aadukalam," directed by Vetrimaran. The actor-director duo has once agian teamed up for a new film, which went on floors this year.
Besides his Tamil projects, Dhanush will be seen in his second Hindi film directed by Balki of "Paa" fame. The film marks the acting debut of Kamal Haasan's daughter Akshara and also has Amitabh Bachchan in a pivotal role. It remains to be seen if Dhanush will be able to impress the audience once again with the yet-to-be-titled Balki flick.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]