UFC 172 Live Stream & Highlights: Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira Preview, Fight Card and Results
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 27, 2014 11:53 AM EST
Jon Jones will try to defend his UFC Light Heavyweight championship belt for the seventh straight time against no.1 contender Glover Teixeira in the main event of UFC 172 on Saturday in Baltimore, Maryland.
Coming perhaps the most difficult fight of his career against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165, the 26-year old Jones looks to further enhance his legendary mixed martial arts resume when he slugs it out with the up-and-coming Teixeira.
Teixeira has been undefeated in his first five fights inside the UFC Octagon, and his knockout victory over light heavyweight contender Ryan Bader last September earned him a shot at Jones.
Better Bones For Longevity
Jones admitted that he went through a nasty showdown with Gustafsson in his last outing inside the octagon, stressing he needs to change his tactics and sharpen his skills set to stay on top of his game.
"I realized I needed to switch up my strategy and begin improvising a little bit more, and that's what I did," Jones said during Friday's pre-fight interview. "I think with Gus I was trying to fight like a technical kick boxing match and I think I was losing at that. I just had to switch my style up and start flowing a little better and start winging things, making up, creating, and finding new openings."
The champion said he wants to restore his status as the most dominant fighter in mixed martial arts.
"I'm totally prepared to fight for five rounds, but my goal in this fight is to dominate the fight in a way that no one seen possible," Jones said. Domination is in my psychology. It's the way I train. It's the way I eat. It's the way I visualize. It's the way I believe.
"If I don't dominate the fight, I'll still be happy with the victory. But domination is what I'm planning on."
Then again, Teixeira is certainly not a pushover and having a tremendous knockout power could be his biggest weapon to pulling off a huge upset Saturday night.
UFC 172 Main Card (10 p.m. ET on Pay-Per-View)
Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira / Phil Davis vs. Anthony Johnson / Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Boetsch / Jim Miller vs. Yancy Medeiros / Max Holloway vs. Andre Fili
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories