UFC 172 Live Stream & Highlights: Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira Preview, Fight Card and Results
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 27, 2014 11:53 AM EST
Jon Jones will try to defend his UFC Light Heavyweight championship belt for the seventh straight time against no.1 contender Glover Teixeira in the main event of UFC 172 on Saturday in Baltimore, Maryland.
Coming perhaps the most difficult fight of his career against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165, the 26-year old Jones looks to further enhance his legendary mixed martial arts resume when he slugs it out with the up-and-coming Teixeira.
Teixeira has been undefeated in his first five fights inside the UFC Octagon, and his knockout victory over light heavyweight contender Ryan Bader last September earned him a shot at Jones.
Better Bones For Longevity
Jones admitted that he went through a nasty showdown with Gustafsson in his last outing inside the octagon, stressing he needs to change his tactics and sharpen his skills set to stay on top of his game.
"I realized I needed to switch up my strategy and begin improvising a little bit more, and that's what I did," Jones said during Friday's pre-fight interview. "I think with Gus I was trying to fight like a technical kick boxing match and I think I was losing at that. I just had to switch my style up and start flowing a little better and start winging things, making up, creating, and finding new openings."
The champion said he wants to restore his status as the most dominant fighter in mixed martial arts.
"I'm totally prepared to fight for five rounds, but my goal in this fight is to dominate the fight in a way that no one seen possible," Jones said. Domination is in my psychology. It's the way I train. It's the way I eat. It's the way I visualize. It's the way I believe.
"If I don't dominate the fight, I'll still be happy with the victory. But domination is what I'm planning on."
Then again, Teixeira is certainly not a pushover and having a tremendous knockout power could be his biggest weapon to pulling off a huge upset Saturday night.
UFC 172 Main Card (10 p.m. ET on Pay-Per-View)
Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira / Phil Davis vs. Anthony Johnson / Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Boetsch / Jim Miller vs. Yancy Medeiros / Max Holloway vs. Andre Fili
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market