UFC 172 Live Stream & Highlights: Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira Preview, Fight Card and Results
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 27, 2014 11:53 AM EST
Jon Jones will try to defend his UFC Light Heavyweight championship belt for the seventh straight time against no.1 contender Glover Teixeira in the main event of UFC 172 on Saturday in Baltimore, Maryland.
Coming perhaps the most difficult fight of his career against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165, the 26-year old Jones looks to further enhance his legendary mixed martial arts resume when he slugs it out with the up-and-coming Teixeira.
Teixeira has been undefeated in his first five fights inside the UFC Octagon, and his knockout victory over light heavyweight contender Ryan Bader last September earned him a shot at Jones.
Better Bones For Longevity
Jones admitted that he went through a nasty showdown with Gustafsson in his last outing inside the octagon, stressing he needs to change his tactics and sharpen his skills set to stay on top of his game.
"I realized I needed to switch up my strategy and begin improvising a little bit more, and that's what I did," Jones said during Friday's pre-fight interview. "I think with Gus I was trying to fight like a technical kick boxing match and I think I was losing at that. I just had to switch my style up and start flowing a little better and start winging things, making up, creating, and finding new openings."
The champion said he wants to restore his status as the most dominant fighter in mixed martial arts.
"I'm totally prepared to fight for five rounds, but my goal in this fight is to dominate the fight in a way that no one seen possible," Jones said. Domination is in my psychology. It's the way I train. It's the way I eat. It's the way I visualize. It's the way I believe.
"If I don't dominate the fight, I'll still be happy with the victory. But domination is what I'm planning on."
Then again, Teixeira is certainly not a pushover and having a tremendous knockout power could be his biggest weapon to pulling off a huge upset Saturday night.
UFC 172 Main Card (10 p.m. ET on Pay-Per-View)
Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira / Phil Davis vs. Anthony Johnson / Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Boetsch / Jim Miller vs. Yancy Medeiros / Max Holloway vs. Andre Fili
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination