NBA Rumors 2014: Chris Paul, Blake Griffin To Boycott NBA Playoffs? Several Clippers Players Considered Not Playing Game 4 Against Warriors
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 27, 2014 5:33 AM EST
The Los Angeles Clippers found themselves in a huge mess following the racially-sensitive statement by owner Donald Sterling. According to ESPN reporter Stephen A. Smith, several Clips players are already considering not playing in Sunday night's playoff game against the Golden State Warriors as a sign of protest for their owner's racist remark.
NBA: Playoffs-Golden State Warriors at Los Angeles Clippers
Sterling has become perhaps the most hated man on the planet after a conversation with his girlfriend - which contains sensitive comments against black people - got exposed by paparazzi online site TMZ last Friday.
In the nine-minute audio recording of the billionaire and his biracial lady V. Stivian (Afro-American and Mexican heritage), Sterling went on to attack his girlfriend's idea of posting photos of her hanging around with Afro-American people, particularly NBA great Magic Johnson. He also demanded Stivian not to bring black people to Clippers games.
Here are some brow-raising racist remarks fired by Sterling to Stivian via TMZ.
"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people. Do you have to? (3:30)
You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games. (5:15)
I'm just saying, in your lousy f******* Instagrams, you don't have to have yourself with, walking with black people.(7:45)
Don't put him [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don't bring him to my games. (9:13)"
Magic Johnson, who is considered an icon by many Afro-American people, has already expressed his disgust on Sterling's racial slur and promised not to attend a single Clips game as long as Sterling is the owner of the team.
Moreover he also felt very sorry for head coach Doc Rivers and star point guard Chris Paul for playing for an owner, who is apparently not giving respect to the racial heritage of majority of his players.
"I feel sorry for my friends Coach Doc Rivers and Chris Paul that they have to work for a man that feels that way about African Americans," said Magic Johnson.
Vincent Bonsignore of Daily News tweeted that Clippers players held a meeting Friday night to talk about their actions following Sterling's latest controversy. Stephen A. Smith disclosed there are few Clips players who are furious about their owner's action and planning to boycott Game 4 of their first-round series against the Warriors on Sunday.
Though the names of the players haven't been disclosed, there's a possibility Clips starters (Paul, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan and Matt Barnes) might not play tomorrow. If that happens, the Clippers could see their championship hope suddenly crushed because of one big blunder by their owner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys