NBA Rumors 2014: Chris Paul, Blake Griffin To Boycott NBA Playoffs? Several Clippers Players Considered Not Playing Game 4 Against Warriors
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 27, 2014 5:33 AM EST
The Los Angeles Clippers found themselves in a huge mess following the racially-sensitive statement by owner Donald Sterling. According to ESPN reporter Stephen A. Smith, several Clips players are already considering not playing in Sunday night's playoff game against the Golden State Warriors as a sign of protest for their owner's racist remark.
NBA: Playoffs-Golden State Warriors at Los Angeles Clippers
Sterling has become perhaps the most hated man on the planet after a conversation with his girlfriend - which contains sensitive comments against black people - got exposed by paparazzi online site TMZ last Friday.
In the nine-minute audio recording of the billionaire and his biracial lady V. Stivian (Afro-American and Mexican heritage), Sterling went on to attack his girlfriend's idea of posting photos of her hanging around with Afro-American people, particularly NBA great Magic Johnson. He also demanded Stivian not to bring black people to Clippers games.
Here are some brow-raising racist remarks fired by Sterling to Stivian via TMZ.
"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people. Do you have to? (3:30)
You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games. (5:15)
I'm just saying, in your lousy f******* Instagrams, you don't have to have yourself with, walking with black people.(7:45)
Don't put him [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don't bring him to my games. (9:13)"
Magic Johnson, who is considered an icon by many Afro-American people, has already expressed his disgust on Sterling's racial slur and promised not to attend a single Clips game as long as Sterling is the owner of the team.
Moreover he also felt very sorry for head coach Doc Rivers and star point guard Chris Paul for playing for an owner, who is apparently not giving respect to the racial heritage of majority of his players.
"I feel sorry for my friends Coach Doc Rivers and Chris Paul that they have to work for a man that feels that way about African Americans," said Magic Johnson.
Vincent Bonsignore of Daily News tweeted that Clippers players held a meeting Friday night to talk about their actions following Sterling's latest controversy. Stephen A. Smith disclosed there are few Clips players who are furious about their owner's action and planning to boycott Game 4 of their first-round series against the Warriors on Sunday.
Though the names of the players haven't been disclosed, there's a possibility Clips starters (Paul, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan and Matt Barnes) might not play tomorrow. If that happens, the Clippers could see their championship hope suddenly crushed because of one big blunder by their owner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales