Tennis News 2014: Roger Federer Losing Grip of Title as Greatest Player of All Time
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 27, 2014 4:42 AM EST
Roger Federer is still holding firm the title as the greatest tennis player of this generation, but rivals Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic are slowly closing the gap, according to an infographic presented on Sports Keeda.
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates defeating Andy Murray of Britain in their men's singles quarter-final tennis match at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne
Currently having a revival year, the 32-year old Federer remains on top of the men's tennis pecking order, and that is despite the emergence of his major competitors Nadal and Djokovic these past three years.
Federer, who finished runner-up to Stanislas Wawrinka at the Monte Carlo Masters, still overwhelmed his rivals in different areas based on the statistical data gathered and analyzed by Sports Keeda writer Adnan Akhtar.
According to the tennis analyst, Federer has the superior numbers over Nadal and Djokovic in terms of victories over top-10 players, win-loss percentage in various court surfaces, and weeks atop the ATP world rankings.
Of course, the Swiss Master remains the record-holder for the most Grand Slam titles in history of men's tennis since the start of the Open Era. With 17 Grand Slam championship, Federer is still the undisputed king of tennis, but there's no denying Nadal and Djokovic are becoming a threat in this category.
The 27-year old Nadal holds the most ATP Masters 1000 titles (26) and French Open crowns (8), while Djokovic had been the king of Melbourne hard court for three consecutive years before absorbing a quarterfinal shocker at the hands of Wawrinka, who went on to win his first ever Grand Slam title.
As for Federer, the year can be described as a success so far compared to his performance last year, when he bagged just one ATP crown. This season, Federer is much more fluid playing with his new racket and his back injury hasn't been an issue as of late.
With his third child expected to come around May, there's a high possibility Federer would miss the upcoming French Open championship. If that happens, it would be the first time since 1999 Federer snubbing a Grand Slam event.
"Roger Federer may miss the 2014 French Open to be present at the birth of his third child. The Swiss star has said skipping Roland Garros could happen though he hopes it does not. His fans will hope not, too. However, the Swiss tennis legend's choice to miss what has often been a scene of disappointment for such an important and joyous occasion is understandable," Liberty Voice reported on Friday.
Based on his recent form, Federer remains a force to be reckoned with in men's tennis, though the aura of dominance has significantly diminished as years pass by. While Nadal and Djokovic are experiencing their own struggles, these two skillful netters are young enough to rack up more crowns and further pad their resume in the next five to seven years.
In short, time is certainly not on Federer's side at this point of his career, and he absolutely knows this fact as well. That's why he's trying to make the most of his opportunity now. For there will be a time, when his body will no longer match his desire to win.
Federer is still the king of the mountain. Well, at least for now.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen