Subramanian Swamy Dubbed ‘CIA Agent’ after Wikileaks Revelation
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 26, 2014 9:55 PM EST
Wikileaks has released an electronic telegram sent in 1977 that contains classified information about late Congress party president Indira Gandhi and her political strategies.
Wikileaks has cited Subramanian Swamy as the source who revealed to a US department officer that Indira Gandhi is set to declare elections in 1977. (Photo: Wikimedia Commons)
The website, known for leaking classified information, has cited former Rajya Sabha member Subramanian Swamy as the source who revealed to a US department officer that Indira is set to declare elections in March, in view of her failing health.
"Subramanian Swamy suggested to department officer then days ago that the heard Mrs. Gandhi was prompted to set the March election date because she wanted to square things away in view of her 'failing health'," read the classified mail.
The confidential cable, dated 3 February 1977, was sent by the Bureau of Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs to the US State Department. The cable, however, neither identified the US officer who had met Swamy nor stated where the meeting had taken place.
WikiLeaks circulated the cable through a tweet, which was later posted on various social networking sites. The cable further noted that Newsweek magazine had run a report that week, saying Indira had "terminal cancer" and her surprise decision to schedule an election quickly "was a way to assure the quick succession" of her son Sanjay Gandhi in the "next 60-90 days".
The news has created a big stir in social media, with many dubbing Swamy as a 'CIA Agent'.
— Nitin Sinha (@NsNitinsinha) April 26, 2014
#SwamyLeaks Wikileaks discloses BJP monster Subramaniam Swamy was CIA agent during PM Indira Gandhi's tenure. Arrest @Swamy39 mole imdtly — Aashish Rishee (@AashishRishee) April 26, 2014
— ARASAN (@Arasan0001) April 26, 2014
The heavy poisonous insect in our india is @Swamy39 yet again proved through wikileaks #SwamyLeaks — Ranjith Singh (@ranjithsingh_s) April 26, 2014
— Loud Frog (@iwsloudfrog) April 26, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide