Subramanian Swamy Dubbed ‘CIA Agent’ after Wikileaks Revelation
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 26, 2014 9:55 PM EST
Wikileaks has released an electronic telegram sent in 1977 that contains classified information about late Congress party president Indira Gandhi and her political strategies.
Wikileaks has cited Subramanian Swamy as the source who revealed to a US department officer that Indira Gandhi is set to declare elections in 1977. (Photo: Wikimedia Commons)
The website, known for leaking classified information, has cited former Rajya Sabha member Subramanian Swamy as the source who revealed to a US department officer that Indira is set to declare elections in March, in view of her failing health.
"Subramanian Swamy suggested to department officer then days ago that the heard Mrs. Gandhi was prompted to set the March election date because she wanted to square things away in view of her 'failing health'," read the classified mail.
The confidential cable, dated 3 February 1977, was sent by the Bureau of Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs to the US State Department. The cable, however, neither identified the US officer who had met Swamy nor stated where the meeting had taken place.
WikiLeaks circulated the cable through a tweet, which was later posted on various social networking sites. The cable further noted that Newsweek magazine had run a report that week, saying Indira had "terminal cancer" and her surprise decision to schedule an election quickly "was a way to assure the quick succession" of her son Sanjay Gandhi in the "next 60-90 days".
The news has created a big stir in social media, with many dubbing Swamy as a 'CIA Agent'.
— Nitin Sinha (@NsNitinsinha) April 26, 2014
#SwamyLeaks Wikileaks discloses BJP monster Subramaniam Swamy was CIA agent during PM Indira Gandhi's tenure. Arrest @Swamy39 mole imdtly — Aashish Rishee (@AashishRishee) April 26, 2014
— ARASAN (@Arasan0001) April 26, 2014
The heavy poisonous insect in our india is @Swamy39 yet again proved through wikileaks #SwamyLeaks — Ranjith Singh (@ranjithsingh_s) April 26, 2014
— Loud Frog (@iwsloudfrog) April 26, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- MH17 Memorial: Australia Prepares for August 7 National Day of Mourning
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports