iPhone 5: Replacement Program for Faulty Button Begins; Things You Should do before Giving Your Smartphone for Servicing
By Raymond Ronamai | April 26, 2014 9:48 PM EST
Apple Inc. has announced a worldwide replacement program for some of its iPhone 5 models, over a potential defect in the sleep/wake button. The replacement process will be available in the US and Canada from Friday, while it will come to other countries on 2 May.
File photo of an employee showing off an Apple iPhone 5C at a Verizon store in Orem, Utah
The Cupertino giant said in a statement that the sleep/wake button of the iPhone 5 models manufactured through March 2013 may be faulty and had announced replacements free of charge. The program covers iPhone 5 models for two years, after the first retail sale of the unit.
However, only certain iPhone 5 models, with a qualifying serial number, can claim replacement for the button. One can check if your device qualifies for the free service on the company's support site. https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/
Qualified devices can be sent to Apple Repair Center in two ways - carry-in or mail-in. The replacement process will take approximately 4-6 days.
- Bring your iPhone 5 to a participating provider - Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
- Your iPhone will be examined to verify eligibility, and then sent to the local Apple Repair Center.
- You will be notified when your iPhone is ready for pickup.
Note: If you require a loaner during the time that your iPhone is being serviced, participating Apple Retail Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers will have iPhone 5 models (16GB only) available.
- Call Apple and request a postage paid box to send your iPhone to the local Apple Repair Center.
- Your iPhone will be examined by the Repair Center to verify eligibility.
- After it is serviced, your iPhone will be returned to you by mail.
Things You Should do before Giving Your Smartphone for Servicing
- Back up your data to iTunes or iCloud
- Turn off Find my iPhone
- Erase data and settings in Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings
- Remove any case or cover
- Upgrade to iOS 7 after the sleep/wake button mechanism is replaced.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]