PV Sindhu Wins Bronze in Asian Badminton Championship
By Shruthi SU | April 26, 2014 8:24 PM EST
India's PV Sindhu went down in the semifinals after relentlessly fighting top seed Shixian Wang of China in the Asian Badminton Championship on Saturday.
The two-time reigning All England champion Shixian defeated India's teen sensation 21-15, 20-22, 12-21 in an hour and 18 minutes, hence bettering the career head-to-head record to 2-3 against the Hyderabadi.
"Overall, Sindhu played well," national coach P Gopichand said after the match. "It was an extremely close and long match. She was up 20-18 but she lost two points while serving. You need a bit of luck in such close matches.
"It's okay, at the end of the day, you will win some and lose some. I am happy with the way she is playing."
Though Sindhu put up a good show in the beginning, the world no. 2 was too hot to handle. The inexperience of the 18-year-old was evident as she lost control of the match gradually. Sindhu's father, Ramana said the World Championships bronze medallist needed more experience to work out the Chinese game plan and succeed.
"It was a close match and she could have won it in the second game itself," a supportive Ramana said. "But I guess she needs a little bit of experience to consistently beat these Chinese players. Anyway, now she will be playing in Uber Cup, so that is the next target."
In women's doubles, the Commonwealth Games gold medallist pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa too settled for bronze in the Asian Championship.
The world no. 13 duo lost to the world number 10 Chinese pair Luo Yu and Luo Ying 12-21, 7-21. The Indian pair has lost all three encounters against this opposition.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales