PV Sindhu Wins Bronze in Asian Badminton Championship
By Shruthi SU | April 26, 2014 8:24 PM EST
India's PV Sindhu went down in the semifinals after relentlessly fighting top seed Shixian Wang of China in the Asian Badminton Championship on Saturday.
The two-time reigning All England champion Shixian defeated India's teen sensation 21-15, 20-22, 12-21 in an hour and 18 minutes, hence bettering the career head-to-head record to 2-3 against the Hyderabadi.
"Overall, Sindhu played well," national coach P Gopichand said after the match. "It was an extremely close and long match. She was up 20-18 but she lost two points while serving. You need a bit of luck in such close matches.
"It's okay, at the end of the day, you will win some and lose some. I am happy with the way she is playing."
Though Sindhu put up a good show in the beginning, the world no. 2 was too hot to handle. The inexperience of the 18-year-old was evident as she lost control of the match gradually. Sindhu's father, Ramana said the World Championships bronze medallist needed more experience to work out the Chinese game plan and succeed.
"It was a close match and she could have won it in the second game itself," a supportive Ramana said. "But I guess she needs a little bit of experience to consistently beat these Chinese players. Anyway, now she will be playing in Uber Cup, so that is the next target."
In women's doubles, the Commonwealth Games gold medallist pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa too settled for bronze in the Asian Championship.
The world no. 13 duo lost to the world number 10 Chinese pair Luo Yu and Luo Ying 12-21, 7-21. The Indian pair has lost all three encounters against this opposition.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan