One Direction Music Video ‘You & I’ Accused Of Ripping Off Special Effects of Australian Band Clubfeet’s ‘Everything You Wanted’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | April 26, 2014 1:59 PM EST
One Direction ripped off the concept for their new music video “You & I” from Australian band Clubfeet, it was alleged. A Melbourne film production company claimed that the British boyband and Fulwell 73 Productions have no originality.
Oh Yeah Wow made the video for Clubfeet’s “Everything You Wanted,” which won a Triple J award for Australian Music Video of the Year in 2013.
On Wednesday, the company complained that the newest music video of One Direction used the same effect that it used for “Everything You Wanted.”
The production group claims that the 1D video used the same effects that it used for Clubfeet. It was referring to the scene where the 1D members – Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, and Harry Styles – have their images freeze on screen before they merge with their frozen selves and continue moving.
Clubfeet’s award-winning video also used the same effect, which Oh Yeah Wow’s Seamus Spilsbury said that the company was the first to use.
“The technique is created using a number of well established VFX tricks. Our clip was the first to use these tricks in this conceptual context,” he told the Couriermail.
“To be crystal clear, OYW has nothing against creative evolution. Artists constantly reinterpret other works that have inspired them and we’re fine with people taking a technique and using it to create something new – our clip for Gotye was loosely based on the genius short film Tango by Zbigniew Rybcznski, for example,” the statement on Oh Yeah Wow’s site reads.
“The wider problem is that plagiarism and copycatting is becoming increasingly common and acceptable. When did we, society, become so complacent as to allow this kind of behaviour to become normal practice in the media industry? It is for this very reason we have decided (this time) to rally some support – for the last thing we want is a generation of kids labelling our Clubfeet video a One Direction rip off in years to come.”
And before One Directioners point out that Clubfeet’s video “doesn’t have the creepy facial morph stuff” that the One Direction video has, the company was talking about the third act specifically.
Also, “Oh Yeah Wow are big One Direction fans and are envious of their ability to maintain flawless hairdos.”
“Considering the sleep deprivation one must endure to create an original piece with practically no budget, you can start to understand the annoyance we might feel when some affluent young bucks and a director devoid of creativity, decide to effectively steal (and subsequently dilute) our idea,” the statement continues.
“You & I” music video was directed by Ben Winston and made by production company Fulwell 73.
One Direction, “You & I”
Clubfeet, “Everything You Wanted”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More