One Direction Music Video ‘You & I’ Accused Of Ripping Off Special Effects of Australian Band Clubfeet’s ‘Everything You Wanted’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | April 26, 2014 1:59 PM EST
One Direction ripped off the concept for their new music video “You & I” from Australian band Clubfeet, it was alleged. A Melbourne film production company claimed that the British boyband and Fulwell 73 Productions have no originality.
Oh Yeah Wow made the video for Clubfeet’s “Everything You Wanted,” which won a Triple J award for Australian Music Video of the Year in 2013.
On Wednesday, the company complained that the newest music video of One Direction used the same effect that it used for “Everything You Wanted.”
The production group claims that the 1D video used the same effects that it used for Clubfeet. It was referring to the scene where the 1D members – Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, and Harry Styles – have their images freeze on screen before they merge with their frozen selves and continue moving.
Clubfeet’s award-winning video also used the same effect, which Oh Yeah Wow’s Seamus Spilsbury said that the company was the first to use.
“The technique is created using a number of well established VFX tricks. Our clip was the first to use these tricks in this conceptual context,” he told the Couriermail.
“To be crystal clear, OYW has nothing against creative evolution. Artists constantly reinterpret other works that have inspired them and we’re fine with people taking a technique and using it to create something new – our clip for Gotye was loosely based on the genius short film Tango by Zbigniew Rybcznski, for example,” the statement on Oh Yeah Wow’s site reads.
“The wider problem is that plagiarism and copycatting is becoming increasingly common and acceptable. When did we, society, become so complacent as to allow this kind of behaviour to become normal practice in the media industry? It is for this very reason we have decided (this time) to rally some support – for the last thing we want is a generation of kids labelling our Clubfeet video a One Direction rip off in years to come.”
And before One Directioners point out that Clubfeet’s video “doesn’t have the creepy facial morph stuff” that the One Direction video has, the company was talking about the third act specifically.
Also, “Oh Yeah Wow are big One Direction fans and are envious of their ability to maintain flawless hairdos.”
“Considering the sleep deprivation one must endure to create an original piece with practically no budget, you can start to understand the annoyance we might feel when some affluent young bucks and a director devoid of creativity, decide to effectively steal (and subsequently dilute) our idea,” the statement continues.
“You & I” music video was directed by Ben Winston and made by production company Fulwell 73.
One Direction, “You & I”
Clubfeet, “Everything You Wanted”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8