One Direction Music Video ‘You & I’ Accused Of Ripping Off Special Effects of Australian Band Clubfeet’s ‘Everything You Wanted’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | April 26, 2014 1:59 PM EST
One Direction ripped off the concept for their new music video “You & I” from Australian band Clubfeet, it was alleged. A Melbourne film production company claimed that the British boyband and Fulwell 73 Productions have no originality.
Oh Yeah Wow made the video for Clubfeet’s “Everything You Wanted,” which won a Triple J award for Australian Music Video of the Year in 2013.
On Wednesday, the company complained that the newest music video of One Direction used the same effect that it used for “Everything You Wanted.”
The production group claims that the 1D video used the same effects that it used for Clubfeet. It was referring to the scene where the 1D members – Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, and Harry Styles – have their images freeze on screen before they merge with their frozen selves and continue moving.
Clubfeet’s award-winning video also used the same effect, which Oh Yeah Wow’s Seamus Spilsbury said that the company was the first to use.
“The technique is created using a number of well established VFX tricks. Our clip was the first to use these tricks in this conceptual context,” he told the Couriermail.
“To be crystal clear, OYW has nothing against creative evolution. Artists constantly reinterpret other works that have inspired them and we’re fine with people taking a technique and using it to create something new – our clip for Gotye was loosely based on the genius short film Tango by Zbigniew Rybcznski, for example,” the statement on Oh Yeah Wow’s site reads.
“The wider problem is that plagiarism and copycatting is becoming increasingly common and acceptable. When did we, society, become so complacent as to allow this kind of behaviour to become normal practice in the media industry? It is for this very reason we have decided (this time) to rally some support – for the last thing we want is a generation of kids labelling our Clubfeet video a One Direction rip off in years to come.”
And before One Directioners point out that Clubfeet’s video “doesn’t have the creepy facial morph stuff” that the One Direction video has, the company was talking about the third act specifically.
Also, “Oh Yeah Wow are big One Direction fans and are envious of their ability to maintain flawless hairdos.”
“Considering the sleep deprivation one must endure to create an original piece with practically no budget, you can start to understand the annoyance we might feel when some affluent young bucks and a director devoid of creativity, decide to effectively steal (and subsequently dilute) our idea,” the statement continues.
“You & I” music video was directed by Ben Winston and made by production company Fulwell 73.
One Direction, “You & I”
Clubfeet, “Everything You Wanted”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates