Congo music festival stampede kills 21
April 26, 2014 1:56 PM EST
At least 21 people were killed when a power cut caused a stampede at a crowded music festival in Democratic Republic of Congo on Friday, the local government said.
The crush occurred in Kikwit on the first night of a festival to commemorate famous Congolese rumba musician King Kester Emeneya, who died last month.
A spokesman for the provincial government said that 21 people had lost their lives and about 12 others were injured. An inquest had been launched into the causes of the tragedy.
Survivors at the general hospital in Kikwit, about 500 km (300 miles) from the capital Kinshasa, said the power cut led to the stampede towards the exits, crushing people in the process.
"When the power went out we tried to contain the crowd that was outside and wanted to enter the stadium, which was already full," a policeman said.
"At the same time those inside wanted to get out, that is why there was a crush which resulted in these deaths".
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop