Congo music festival stampede kills 21
April 26, 2014 1:56 PM EST
At least 21 people were killed when a power cut caused a stampede at a crowded music festival in Democratic Republic of Congo on Friday, the local government said.
The crush occurred in Kikwit on the first night of a festival to commemorate famous Congolese rumba musician King Kester Emeneya, who died last month.
A spokesman for the provincial government said that 21 people had lost their lives and about 12 others were injured. An inquest had been launched into the causes of the tragedy.
Survivors at the general hospital in Kikwit, about 500 km (300 miles) from the capital Kinshasa, said the power cut led to the stampede towards the exits, crushing people in the process.
"When the power went out we tried to contain the crowd that was outside and wanted to enter the stadium, which was already full," a policeman said.
"At the same time those inside wanted to get out, that is why there was a crush which resulted in these deaths".
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- Canadian Rapist, Convicted for Killing 2-Year-Old Girl, Murdered in Prison
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff