Watch Kevin Pietersen's First Innings of IPL 2014: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Delhi Daredevils Match Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 26, 2014 12:17 AM EST
The Sunrisers Hyderabad opened their account in IPL 2014, picking up their first win of the tournament, and with it spoiling Kevin Pietersen's first game of the season.
Pietersen had been sidelined with a finger injury for the first three games of the season, but the skipper was finally declared fit in a big boost for the Delhi Daredevils.
The former England international, though, could not inspire his side to a win as the Sunrisers Hyderabad found their batting mojo to outmuscle DD.
"It was very close, a great game of cricket," said Pietersen, who made 16 from 17 balls on his return. "We played a lot better this evening. We're not that far off from being where we want to be.
"I thought we batted beautifully. Quinton de Kock and Murali Vijay got us off to a great start. The Sunrisers also batted well with Aaron Finch and David Warner taking them to a big total.
"We were a bit lethargic at the start and you can't do that for the first 6 overs, but we were super from six to 20."
Pietersen, who was caught out in deep looking for his second six of the innings, also said he was not feeling the ill-effects of his hand injury. "My hand feels good and it's fantastic to be playing again. We just have to get over the line on a couple of the nail-bitters and we'll be back [in the groove]."
Sunrisers captain Shikhar Dhawan was happy to finally pick up a first win, with the batting for the first time in the tournament coming to the fore after two extremely disappointing outings.
"It feels great to win and finally we are off the mark in the tournament," Dhawan said. "We needed the victory to boost our confidence. We knew we had the people and we just needed to click.
"The innings started off with a great partnership and Aaron and Warner took us through."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions