Watch Kevin Pietersen's First Innings of IPL 2014: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Delhi Daredevils Match Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 26, 2014 12:17 AM EST
The Sunrisers Hyderabad opened their account in IPL 2014, picking up their first win of the tournament, and with it spoiling Kevin Pietersen's first game of the season.
Pietersen had been sidelined with a finger injury for the first three games of the season, but the skipper was finally declared fit in a big boost for the Delhi Daredevils.
The former England international, though, could not inspire his side to a win as the Sunrisers Hyderabad found their batting mojo to outmuscle DD.
"It was very close, a great game of cricket," said Pietersen, who made 16 from 17 balls on his return. "We played a lot better this evening. We're not that far off from being where we want to be.
"I thought we batted beautifully. Quinton de Kock and Murali Vijay got us off to a great start. The Sunrisers also batted well with Aaron Finch and David Warner taking them to a big total.
"We were a bit lethargic at the start and you can't do that for the first 6 overs, but we were super from six to 20."
Pietersen, who was caught out in deep looking for his second six of the innings, also said he was not feeling the ill-effects of his hand injury. "My hand feels good and it's fantastic to be playing again. We just have to get over the line on a couple of the nail-bitters and we'll be back [in the groove]."
Sunrisers captain Shikhar Dhawan was happy to finally pick up a first win, with the batting for the first time in the tournament coming to the fore after two extremely disappointing outings.
"It feels great to win and finally we are off the mark in the tournament," Dhawan said. "We needed the victory to boost our confidence. We knew we had the people and we just needed to click.
"The innings started off with a great partnership and Aaron and Warner took us through."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan