Watch Kevin Pietersen's First Innings of IPL 2014: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Delhi Daredevils Match Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 26, 2014 12:17 AM EST
The Sunrisers Hyderabad opened their account in IPL 2014, picking up their first win of the tournament, and with it spoiling Kevin Pietersen's first game of the season.
Pietersen had been sidelined with a finger injury for the first three games of the season, but the skipper was finally declared fit in a big boost for the Delhi Daredevils.
The former England international, though, could not inspire his side to a win as the Sunrisers Hyderabad found their batting mojo to outmuscle DD.
"It was very close, a great game of cricket," said Pietersen, who made 16 from 17 balls on his return. "We played a lot better this evening. We're not that far off from being where we want to be.
"I thought we batted beautifully. Quinton de Kock and Murali Vijay got us off to a great start. The Sunrisers also batted well with Aaron Finch and David Warner taking them to a big total.
"We were a bit lethargic at the start and you can't do that for the first 6 overs, but we were super from six to 20."
Pietersen, who was caught out in deep looking for his second six of the innings, also said he was not feeling the ill-effects of his hand injury. "My hand feels good and it's fantastic to be playing again. We just have to get over the line on a couple of the nail-bitters and we'll be back [in the groove]."
Sunrisers captain Shikhar Dhawan was happy to finally pick up a first win, with the batting for the first time in the tournament coming to the fore after two extremely disappointing outings.
"It feels great to win and finally we are off the mark in the tournament," Dhawan said. "We needed the victory to boost our confidence. We knew we had the people and we just needed to click.
"The innings started off with a great partnership and Aaron and Warner took us through."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June