Watch Kevin Pietersen's First Innings of IPL 2014: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Delhi Daredevils Match Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 26, 2014 12:17 AM EST
The Sunrisers Hyderabad opened their account in IPL 2014, picking up their first win of the tournament, and with it spoiling Kevin Pietersen's first game of the season.
Pietersen had been sidelined with a finger injury for the first three games of the season, but the skipper was finally declared fit in a big boost for the Delhi Daredevils.
The former England international, though, could not inspire his side to a win as the Sunrisers Hyderabad found their batting mojo to outmuscle DD.
"It was very close, a great game of cricket," said Pietersen, who made 16 from 17 balls on his return. "We played a lot better this evening. We're not that far off from being where we want to be.
"I thought we batted beautifully. Quinton de Kock and Murali Vijay got us off to a great start. The Sunrisers also batted well with Aaron Finch and David Warner taking them to a big total.
"We were a bit lethargic at the start and you can't do that for the first 6 overs, but we were super from six to 20."
Pietersen, who was caught out in deep looking for his second six of the innings, also said he was not feeling the ill-effects of his hand injury. "My hand feels good and it's fantastic to be playing again. We just have to get over the line on a couple of the nail-bitters and we'll be back [in the groove]."
Sunrisers captain Shikhar Dhawan was happy to finally pick up a first win, with the batting for the first time in the tournament coming to the fore after two extremely disappointing outings.
"It feels great to win and finally we are off the mark in the tournament," Dhawan said. "We needed the victory to boost our confidence. We knew we had the people and we just needed to click.
"The innings started off with a great partnership and Aaron and Warner took us through."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports