Watch Kevin Pietersen's First Innings of IPL 2014: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Delhi Daredevils Match Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | April 26, 2014 12:17 AM EST
The Sunrisers Hyderabad opened their account in IPL 2014, picking up their first win of the tournament, and with it spoiling Kevin Pietersen's first game of the season.
Pietersen had been sidelined with a finger injury for the first three games of the season, but the skipper was finally declared fit in a big boost for the Delhi Daredevils.
The former England international, though, could not inspire his side to a win as the Sunrisers Hyderabad found their batting mojo to outmuscle DD.
"It was very close, a great game of cricket," said Pietersen, who made 16 from 17 balls on his return. "We played a lot better this evening. We're not that far off from being where we want to be.
"I thought we batted beautifully. Quinton de Kock and Murali Vijay got us off to a great start. The Sunrisers also batted well with Aaron Finch and David Warner taking them to a big total.
"We were a bit lethargic at the start and you can't do that for the first 6 overs, but we were super from six to 20."
Pietersen, who was caught out in deep looking for his second six of the innings, also said he was not feeling the ill-effects of his hand injury. "My hand feels good and it's fantastic to be playing again. We just have to get over the line on a couple of the nail-bitters and we'll be back [in the groove]."
Sunrisers captain Shikhar Dhawan was happy to finally pick up a first win, with the batting for the first time in the tournament coming to the fore after two extremely disappointing outings.
"It feels great to win and finally we are off the mark in the tournament," Dhawan said. "We needed the victory to boost our confidence. We knew we had the people and we just needed to click.
"The innings started off with a great partnership and Aaron and Warner took us through."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier