Obama Nominates 3 Indian Americans to Advisory Commission
By Rama Mohan | April 26, 2014 12:17 AM EST
US President Barack Obama (Photo: Reuters)
The men in question are US Air Force officer Lt Col Ravi Chaudhary, noted community leader Shekar Narasimhan and popular film and television actor Maulik Pancholy.
"I am pleased to announce that these experienced and committed individuals have agreed to join this Administration, and I look forward to working with them in the coming months and years," a White House issued statement quoted Obama. The President is currently on a four-nation tour in Asia. The nominated 14 persons also include N Nina Ahmed of Bangladesh-origin.
The AAPIs initiative works to improve the quality of life and opportunities for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders by facilitating increased access to and participation in federal programs.
The AAPIs is housed in the US Department of Education and is led by Executive Director Kiran Ahuja.
AAPIs functions in collaboration with the White House Office of Public Engagement federal agencies to increase the participation of Asian American and Pacific Islanders in programs in education, commerce, business, health, human services, housing, environment, arts, agriculture, labor and employment, transportation, justice, veterans affairs and economic and community development.
The three Indians are achievers in their own fields. Chaudhary is the Executive Officer to Commander, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. Narasimhan is the Managing Partner at Beekman Advisors and Chairman of Papillon Capital. Narasimhan is also a co-founder of the Emergent Institute in Bangalore. Previously, it was known as the Indian Institute of Sustainable Enterprise.
On his part, Pancholy is involved with several non-profit and social policy organisations, such as Asian-Americans Advancing Justice, the New York City Anti-Violence Project and the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission.
Ahmed, of Bangladesh origin, is a co-owner and executive vice-president of government affairs for JNA Capital - a Philadelphia-based real estate finance and development company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones