Obama Nominates 3 Indian Americans to Advisory Commission
By Rama Mohan | April 26, 2014 12:17 AM EST
US President Barack Obama (Photo: Reuters)
The men in question are US Air Force officer Lt Col Ravi Chaudhary, noted community leader Shekar Narasimhan and popular film and television actor Maulik Pancholy.
"I am pleased to announce that these experienced and committed individuals have agreed to join this Administration, and I look forward to working with them in the coming months and years," a White House issued statement quoted Obama. The President is currently on a four-nation tour in Asia. The nominated 14 persons also include N Nina Ahmed of Bangladesh-origin.
The AAPIs initiative works to improve the quality of life and opportunities for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders by facilitating increased access to and participation in federal programs.
The AAPIs is housed in the US Department of Education and is led by Executive Director Kiran Ahuja.
AAPIs functions in collaboration with the White House Office of Public Engagement federal agencies to increase the participation of Asian American and Pacific Islanders in programs in education, commerce, business, health, human services, housing, environment, arts, agriculture, labor and employment, transportation, justice, veterans affairs and economic and community development.
The three Indians are achievers in their own fields. Chaudhary is the Executive Officer to Commander, Air Force District of Washington, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. Narasimhan is the Managing Partner at Beekman Advisors and Chairman of Papillon Capital. Narasimhan is also a co-founder of the Emergent Institute in Bangalore. Previously, it was known as the Indian Institute of Sustainable Enterprise.
On his part, Pancholy is involved with several non-profit and social policy organisations, such as Asian-Americans Advancing Justice, the New York City Anti-Violence Project and the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission.
Ahmed, of Bangladesh origin, is a co-owner and executive vice-president of government affairs for JNA Capital - a Philadelphia-based real estate finance and development company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date