Google Generates 2.4M Searches a Minute; Australia Internet Users Reaches 18M
By Jenille Cristy Maido | April 25, 2014 11:26 PM EST
With the Internet population growing at least 10 percent in two years, a representation of 2.4 billion people is turning to the Internet as of today. These people have been generating data after data after data. And to some, it might be interesting to know the status of data generation in a specific time. How much Internet data is generated every minute? You may ask.
Google's vice president of data centres Joe Kava gives a speech during the opening ceremony of the Google data centre in Changhua Coastal Industrial Park, central Taiwan, December 11, 2013. Google Inc. said on Wednesday it will double its planned investment to $600 million for its data centre in Taiwan to cater to the world's fastest growing technology consumer markets. REUTERS/Pichi Chuang
The business intelligence company Domo released an infographic showing data generation facts of different popular search and social media websites. The infographic, titled Data Newer Sleeps showed that there are loads of data that is generated in just a minute. Here are the tidbits of facts the business management company put on their interesting infographic:
Every minute of the day...
- Youtube users upload 72 hours of new video
- Email users send 204,000,000 messages
- Google receives 4,000,000 search queries
- Facebook users share 2,469,000 pieces of content
- Tinder users swipe 416,667 times
- WhatsApp user shares 347,222 photos
- Twitter users tweet 277,000 times
- Instagram users post 216,000 new photos
- Amazon makes $83,000 in online sales
- Apple users download 48,000 apps
- Yelp users post 26,380 reviews
- Skype users connect for 23,3000 hours
- Vine users share 8,333 videos
- Pintrest users pin 3,472 images
Click here to access the infographic on Domo.com.
Meanwhile, As of January 2014, the statistics on internet usages showed that Australia's internet penetration is 81 percent. The country has 57% social media penetration with an average of 2.1 hours spent in all social networking websites. Australia also has 100% mobile penetration.
In numbers there are 18,129,727 internet users; 12,800,000 active Facebook users and 24, 4000,000 active mobile subscription in the country.
Eighty nine percent of Australia's internet population has accounts on any social media. 81% of these has accounts of Facebook; 14% has accounts of Twitter; 14% has accounts on Google Plus; 11% has LinkedIn accounts; and, 7% has accounts on Instagram.
With these numbers, Australia may be considered one of the major contributors in the data generation despite reports that the Internet's affordability and access is falling in the country. In a recent report by ABC, economists say that Australia needs to upgrade its investment in communications to realign its competitiveness in terms of internet access.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery