Michael Phelps Finishes Second in First Comeback Final after 20-Month Retirement
By Shruthi SU | April 25, 2014 11:17 PM EST
18-time Olympic gold medallist Michael Phelps lost to rival Ryan Lochte in the 100m butterfly final at the Mesa Grand Prix.
It was Phelps' first final in 20 months. The 28-year-old made his comeback at Mesa, after being last seen in the 2012 London Olympics.
Michael Phelps finished second to Ryan Lochte in his comeback final.
Lochte finished in 51.93sec - second fastest in the world this year, while Phelps finished close behind at 52.13. Kenya's Jason Dunford third in 53.08.
"I swam a final again," Phelps said. "I said I wanted to be around 52.0 and I would be completely happy with that. The race was fun."
Asked if he was eager to continue till the 2016 Rio Olympics, Phelps said he is only focused on enjoying his journey at the moment.
"This is one meet, it's one race," Phelps pointed out. "It's a long way whether I decide to continue or not. I'm doing this because I'm having fun, I'm just enjoying myself on this road, this process, this journey."
Lochte also expressed his happiness to see Phelps back in the race.
"I probably wouldn't have gone that time if Phelps wasn't in there," he said. "I'm glad he's back. Him leaving, it kind of broke my heart a little. Racing against him is so much fun."
Lochte, a five-time Olympic champion who beat compatriot Phelps to win the 400m individual medley at London 2012, said he was tempted to smile during the race, after seeing his longtime friend back.
"Down there at the turn I kind of peeked over and I saw him and almost started smiling," Lochte said.
Phelps jokingly teased: "Why? Because you were ahead?"
Phelps' coach Bob Bowman said it was fantastic to see Phelps in the competitive spirit and that the technicalities can be worked on with time.
"I think that's a really good time to start with," Bowman said. "He hadn't been in a race in two years... his timing was a little off at the start, then he scrambled to catch up, then he missed a whole stroke on the turn.
"My expectations were he would come and maybe enjoy it and not be terrible, so all those were met. That's a really good time to start with."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence