'Vaayai Moodi Pesavum' (VMP) Review Roundup: Feel Good Entertainer Worth Watching
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 25, 2014 10:57 PM EST
Dulquer Salmaan-Nazriya Nazim starrer "Vaayai Moodi Pesavum" (VMP) has received positive reviews from critics.
"Vaayai Moodi Pesavum" is a romantic comedy entertainer, directed by Balaji Mohan of "Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Eppadi" fame. The film marks the Tamil acting debut of Dulquer, son of noted Malayalam actor Mammootty.
Vaayai Moodi Pesavum Poster (Facebook)
The rom-com is set in an imaginary hill station named Panimalai. Aravind (Dulquer) is a smart sales representative who is a gifted speaker. With his talent to convince people, he can easily make them buy his products. Anjana (Nazriya) is a doctor, who is reserved and talks less. There are other characters in Panimalai, including Vidhya ("Roja" girl Madhoo Bala) who plays the role of Nazriya's stepmom and a writer, Nuclear star Boomesh (John Vijay), drinkers association head Ravi (Robo Shankar), health minister Sundaralingam and landlord (Vinu Chakravarthi).
Unfortunately, a strange disease called "dumb flu" (imaginary) spreads across the hill station, causing several people to lose their voice. What impact the flu has on the people of Panimalai forms the crux of the story.
Critics have appreciated the film, calling it a feel-good entertainer that will make the audience leave the cinema theatres with a smile. They have lauded director Balaji Mohan's efforts for making an honest, original attempt like "Vaayai Moodi Pesavum". The performances of the film's pivotal actors, including Dulquer and Nazriya, have also won accolades from critics.
"Dulquer Salmaan, son of actor Mammootty, has pulled off his role in style. Be it in the first half, when he has to keep talking throughout, or in the second half, when he has to keep his mouth shut, he is mighty impressive," said Sai Shyam of iflickz website.
"Nazriya has a nerdy look attached to her throughout the film, which could be because of the role she has taken up in the film. She is refreshing in her role. Madhoo of 'Roja' fame has not lost her charisma one bit. She scores in the few scenes and kudos to the director, for bringing her back into Tamil films," he added.
According to Behindwoods Review Board: "The unsuspecting humor element of the film, particularly in the first half is a huge strength while the sudden twist of fate creates a surreal tension of a different kind to the audience in the second half, though the humor quotient is still maintained high with a series of charades that draw some excellent performances from its actors."
Critics also had only positive things to say about the technical aspects of the film. "Soundararajan's cinematography gives the chill look to the film and Sean Roldon's music and songs suits the genre well. The second half of the movie is having lot of scope for BGM and Sean Roldon's Maatra Paravai and Udaiguren conveys the emotions very well. Debut editor Abhinav Sundar Nayak's editing is flawless and he is a welcome addition to the promising feature film editors of Kollywood," said S Rajasekar of Cinemalead.
Verdict: Feel good entertainer worth watching
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]