'Vaayai Moodi Pesavum' (VMP) Review Roundup: Feel Good Entertainer Worth Watching
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 25, 2014 10:57 PM EST
Dulquer Salmaan-Nazriya Nazim starrer "Vaayai Moodi Pesavum" (VMP) has received positive reviews from critics.
"Vaayai Moodi Pesavum" is a romantic comedy entertainer, directed by Balaji Mohan of "Kadhalil Sodhappuvadhu Eppadi" fame. The film marks the Tamil acting debut of Dulquer, son of noted Malayalam actor Mammootty.
Vaayai Moodi Pesavum Poster (Facebook)
The rom-com is set in an imaginary hill station named Panimalai. Aravind (Dulquer) is a smart sales representative who is a gifted speaker. With his talent to convince people, he can easily make them buy his products. Anjana (Nazriya) is a doctor, who is reserved and talks less. There are other characters in Panimalai, including Vidhya ("Roja" girl Madhoo Bala) who plays the role of Nazriya's stepmom and a writer, Nuclear star Boomesh (John Vijay), drinkers association head Ravi (Robo Shankar), health minister Sundaralingam and landlord (Vinu Chakravarthi).
Unfortunately, a strange disease called "dumb flu" (imaginary) spreads across the hill station, causing several people to lose their voice. What impact the flu has on the people of Panimalai forms the crux of the story.
Critics have appreciated the film, calling it a feel-good entertainer that will make the audience leave the cinema theatres with a smile. They have lauded director Balaji Mohan's efforts for making an honest, original attempt like "Vaayai Moodi Pesavum". The performances of the film's pivotal actors, including Dulquer and Nazriya, have also won accolades from critics.
"Dulquer Salmaan, son of actor Mammootty, has pulled off his role in style. Be it in the first half, when he has to keep talking throughout, or in the second half, when he has to keep his mouth shut, he is mighty impressive," said Sai Shyam of iflickz website.
"Nazriya has a nerdy look attached to her throughout the film, which could be because of the role she has taken up in the film. She is refreshing in her role. Madhoo of 'Roja' fame has not lost her charisma one bit. She scores in the few scenes and kudos to the director, for bringing her back into Tamil films," he added.
According to Behindwoods Review Board: "The unsuspecting humor element of the film, particularly in the first half is a huge strength while the sudden twist of fate creates a surreal tension of a different kind to the audience in the second half, though the humor quotient is still maintained high with a series of charades that draw some excellent performances from its actors."
Critics also had only positive things to say about the technical aspects of the film. "Soundararajan's cinematography gives the chill look to the film and Sean Roldon's music and songs suits the genre well. The second half of the movie is having lot of scope for BGM and Sean Roldon's Maatra Paravai and Udaiguren conveys the emotions very well. Debut editor Abhinav Sundar Nayak's editing is flawless and he is a welcome addition to the promising feature film editors of Kollywood," said S Rajasekar of Cinemalead.
Verdict: Feel good entertainer worth watching
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Update: Laurina Talks About Her Exit, Jessica’s Acting Background Revealed
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1