'Chandamama Kathalu' Review Roundup: One-Time Watch
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 25, 2014 8:20 PM EST
"Chandamama Kathalu", the Telugu anthology film directed by Praveen Sattaru, has received mixed reviews from critics.
Chandamama Kathalu (Facebook/Lakshmi Manchu)
The film has eight sub stories that revolve around love, greed and emotions. The main characters of these eight sub-plots include a falling model (Lakshmi Manchu), software professional (Krishnudu) - whose goal is to get married before he turns 30, a widow (Aamani), two college students, a beggar (Krishneswara Rao), young Muslim lovers, a poor village couple and an award-winning writer (Kishore) whose daughter is diagnosed with chronic illness. How all these sub-plots are interconnected with each other is shown in the film.
Critics have said that the begger's story is one of the main highlights of the film. Rao who plays the beggar does not speak much, but he is the soul of the film, say the critics. They have also appreciated the performances of Aamani, Naresh, Manchu and Kishore. Director Praveen Sattaru's efforts, in giving out a film from a different genre, have been lauded. The film's technical aspects including camerawork and the music have also won accolades from the critics.
"Among the technicalities, a special mention is needed for Mickey J Meyer's background score which served as real spirit to unify the content. The kind of feel good and emotional factor managed by director is kept intact by Mickey. Then Suresh Raghutu's cinematography is a comfy and pleasant eye feast," says Srivaas of Cinejosh.
On the flip side, there is lack of pace in the first half and the audience might get bored in some scenes. "Although the film is boring, one can enjoy the non-obvious stuff. The pace is quite slow especially in the first half; the second half passes muster," says Indiaglitz.
Critics also say that the director has failed to connect all the dots convincingly. "Blame the writer-director Praveen Sattaru for failing to connect the dots perfectly thus making the tale confounding. Too many sub-plots within the plot add much confusion as director didn't handle it well. At times, it is even hard to decipher what is going on as sub plots within sub plots baffle us," says AP Today.
On the whole "Chandamama Kathalu" is not a regular run-of-the-mill film. The anthology film might fail to impress fans of commercial pot boilers but if viewers want to watch something different this summer, they can try "Chandamama Kathalu." Although there are loopholes in the film, it is worth watching once.
Verdict: One time watch for those who like feel good films.
Photo Credit: Facebook/Lakshmi Manchu
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date