Dark Souls 2: Game Gets New Graphics Mod from Modder Who Improved Darks Souls PC Port
By Aditya Bhat | April 25, 2014 7:09 PM EST
Dark Souls 2 from Bandai Namco, billed as the hardest video game ever, has now received a new graphics mod from the modder who is known for improving the quality of the visuals in Dark Souls PC version.
Dark Souls 2 PC's digital version will be released on 25 April.
The modder, known as Durante (real name is Peter Thoman), will introduce a string of graphics enhancements, like texture modding, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing, depth of field and post-processing effects, reported Polygon.
The mod, titled GeDoSaTo or Generic Downsampling Tool, will not only help improve the quality of graphics in Dark Souls 2 but is also designed to work well with other games.
Durate detailed the GeDoSaTo features as such ( from personal blog):
1. Downsampling, better than any other solution:
- Essentially no resolution limits (beyond those of the GPU)
- Downsampling from more than 4x the resolution is useful (multi-stage downsampling)
- Selection of downsampling methods (not just bilinear sampling)
- Downsampling in linear color space
- Support downsampling to high-frequency (e.g. 120 Hz or 144 Hz) target modes
- Not limited by display hardware
2. Take screenshots of either the pre-downsampled full buffer or the actual image displayed on screen (automatically sorted in per-game folders!)
3. Generic texture overriding for all textures loaded using D3DX
4. It uses a far more solid injection and interception method than my earlier efforts
Durante also warned players that still there were many bugs and the mod had limitations. In his blog, he says that the idea of this tool came after he finished working on graphics fixes for Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition in 2013.
"I saw a world in which everyone was free to downsample any game, unbound by the restrictions of their monitor or display driver. One where people could downsample at high refresh rates, and where the quality of the scaling in real-time was finally equal to that achieved in image manipulation programs," Durante wrote on his blog.
"It (GeDoSaTo) still only supports DirectX 9 and 9ex, and many games have issues even with those," the modder added.
GeDoSaTo version 0.1a is available for download here.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- Xbox One VS. PS4 At PAX Prime 2014:18 Games On Sale And A Lineup Of Xbox Games Revealed
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0