Dark Souls 2: Game Gets New Graphics Mod from Modder Who Improved Darks Souls PC Port
By Aditya Bhat | April 25, 2014 7:09 PM EST
Dark Souls 2 from Bandai Namco, billed as the hardest video game ever, has now received a new graphics mod from the modder who is known for improving the quality of the visuals in Dark Souls PC version.
Dark Souls 2 PC's digital version will be released on 25 April.
The modder, known as Durante (real name is Peter Thoman), will introduce a string of graphics enhancements, like texture modding, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing, depth of field and post-processing effects, reported Polygon.
The mod, titled GeDoSaTo or Generic Downsampling Tool, will not only help improve the quality of graphics in Dark Souls 2 but is also designed to work well with other games.
Durate detailed the GeDoSaTo features as such ( from personal blog):
1. Downsampling, better than any other solution:
- Essentially no resolution limits (beyond those of the GPU)
- Downsampling from more than 4x the resolution is useful (multi-stage downsampling)
- Selection of downsampling methods (not just bilinear sampling)
- Downsampling in linear color space
- Support downsampling to high-frequency (e.g. 120 Hz or 144 Hz) target modes
- Not limited by display hardware
2. Take screenshots of either the pre-downsampled full buffer or the actual image displayed on screen (automatically sorted in per-game folders!)
3. Generic texture overriding for all textures loaded using D3DX
4. It uses a far more solid injection and interception method than my earlier efforts
Durante also warned players that still there were many bugs and the mod had limitations. In his blog, he says that the idea of this tool came after he finished working on graphics fixes for Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition in 2013.
"I saw a world in which everyone was free to downsample any game, unbound by the restrictions of their monitor or display driver. One where people could downsample at high refresh rates, and where the quality of the scaling in real-time was finally equal to that achieved in image manipulation programs," Durante wrote on his blog.
"It (GeDoSaTo) still only supports DirectX 9 and 9ex, and many games have issues even with those," the modder added.
GeDoSaTo version 0.1a is available for download here.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- Windows Phone 8.1 for Nokia Lumia 1520: How to Downgrade to Get Lumia Cyan Update for Preview for Developers
- Minecraft 1.8 Snapshot 14w30c Released; Partnership with Lego to Reveal Toys This Fall
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- HTC One M8: Red and Pink Colour Choices Confirmed in the UK, Pre-Orders on Android Smartphone Now Available with Free Dot View Case
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide