‘Revolver Rani’ Review Roundup: Kangana Ranaut Impresses Again but Film Disappoints
By Ankita Mehta | April 25, 2014 4:33 PM EST
Kangana Ranaut has once again impressed critics with her acting in "Revolver Rani". The film directed by Sai Kabir is a comedy flick featuring Vir Das and Ranaut in the main roles.
After her performance in "Queen", Ranaut has gained appreciation for her role as Alka Singh or Revolver Rani in the latest film.
The first half of the film is entertaining and engaging, but the second half disappoints with predictable storyline.
While, critics have given mixed reviews it remains to be seen whether audiences will accept Ranaut in Alka Singh's role.
Apart from the lead pair, the film also casts Piyush Mishra, Pankaj Saraswat and Zakir Hussain in important roles.
Check out below what critics' have said about the film:
Tanushree Bhasin of Firstpost said: "The first half is absolutely delightful. Weird would be an understatement to describe just how absurd the film's treatment is. And I mean that as a compliment.
"The film however, disappoints just as much as it entertains. The ending leaves things open for a possible sequel and one hopes that Revolver Rani returns in the style of The Bride to avenge the wrongs done to her. Till then, this part of her story remains a rather failed and half-hearted attempt to make a hero out of a heroine."
Mohar Basu of Koimoi.com said: "Revolver Rani is a commendably tantalizing attempt for Bollywood. Kangana's calling it shots (quite literally) paired with her wicked conniving smile is tempting. The narrative in its illustrious moments lures us into its absorbing premises before turning languid. Though the product was made with a more competent vision in mind, the execution wasn't tempered correctly which makes the film fall a few notches. For the mettlesome imagination, Revolver Rani makes for a gripping watch.
"Revolver Rani is a better than good film that is pulled back due to its hassle some screenplay and craggy editing. The film could have been way more meritorious with heightened drama and better action but suffering from the known second hour plague, the film loses focus squandering its potential in thin air. Kangana Ranaut however, doesn't allow the film to waste away."
Shubha Shetty-Saha of Mid-Day said: "The film starts with much promise, with a kind of quirkiness and black humour that fits well, but it begins to fizzle out by the end of it. Watch it for Kangna Ranaut and the music.
"The best thing about this film is of course, Kangna. The capable actress portrays this offbeat role of a violent, passionate but vulnerable dacoit with commendable ease. The only letdown in the film is Vir Das, who seemed to be struggling hard to (unsuccessfully) fit into the whole scheme of things. The next best thing about this film is its music. Watch it."
Sneha May Francis of Emirates 24/7 said: "'Revolver Rani' is about the dirty politics, the Bollywood dreams, and the earning for a life uncompromised and loved. While it's got many extraordinary characters, some incredibly wicked lines and a few well-written power-packed sequences, Sai's unable to piece them together to make it work as a whole.
"Although Kangana makes 'Revolver Rani' work on so many levels, the movie doesn't do her justice. We honestly wish it had."
Shubhra Gupta of Indian Express said: "It is clear that Kangana Ranaut is trying hard for the 'sur', but this is not her territory: she gets to that well-judged manic edge only a couple of times, and then slides back. Her hold on the character is slippery, as is her accent, and the shade of her tan."
Madhureeta Mukherje of The Times of India said: "Kangna is pure dynamite, firing on all barrels. With a tanned tone, kohl eyes and mercurial moods - she uses every weapon to fire a mind-blowing performance. Vir strikes at times but his character is not as fleshed out; Piyush (as Alka's *mama*) is superb and Zakir adds power to the plot.
"'Revolver Rani' is loaded with a lot more than just gunpower. You'll enjoy biting this bullet."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS