Crucifix Dedicated to Pope John Paul II Crashes to Death Italian Man Posing for Souvenir Photo
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 25, 2014 8:54 AM EST
A 21-year-old Italian man literally bore his own cross to death when the 100-foot high crucifix in the mountain village of Cevo crushed him to death.
The victim, Marco Gusmini, was posing for a souvenir photograph with friends when the cross suddenly collapsed, reported The Telegraph. Ironically, the cross was dedicated to the late Pope John Paul II who will be canonised on Sunday, April 28, along with Pope John XXIII.
A damaged crucifix overlooks the scene of a bomb explosion at St. Theresa Catholic Church at Madalla, Suleja, just outside Nigeria's capital Abuja, December 25, 2011.
The cross included as 20-foot high statue of Christ the Redeemer that weighed 600 kilogrammes. It was crafted by sculptor Enrico Job for the visit of the much-loved pontiff to Brescia in the Italian northern region of Lombardy in 1998. In 2006, it was transferred to Cevo.
The cross was bowed and bent downwards, held in place by steel cables.
Gusmini is from the town of Lovere, particularly a street named Via Papa Giovanni XXIII, who is also being canonised on Sunday.
According to Associated Press, in 2005, a 72-year-old woman was also crushed to her death by a 7-foot tall metal cross in Sant'Onofrio in Italy.
The canonisation rite is expected to draw millions of pilgrims to Vatican City, the seat of the Roman Catholic Church. Pope Francis would lead the Mass and the rite which starts at 9 am and is expected to end at noon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People