Crucifix Dedicated to Pope John Paul II Crashes to Death Italian Man Posing for Souvenir Photo
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 25, 2014 8:54 AM EST
A 21-year-old Italian man literally bore his own cross to death when the 100-foot high crucifix in the mountain village of Cevo crushed him to death.
The victim, Marco Gusmini, was posing for a souvenir photograph with friends when the cross suddenly collapsed, reported The Telegraph. Ironically, the cross was dedicated to the late Pope John Paul II who will be canonised on Sunday, April 28, along with Pope John XXIII.
A damaged crucifix overlooks the scene of a bomb explosion at St. Theresa Catholic Church at Madalla, Suleja, just outside Nigeria's capital Abuja, December 25, 2011.
The cross included as 20-foot high statue of Christ the Redeemer that weighed 600 kilogrammes. It was crafted by sculptor Enrico Job for the visit of the much-loved pontiff to Brescia in the Italian northern region of Lombardy in 1998. In 2006, it was transferred to Cevo.
The cross was bowed and bent downwards, held in place by steel cables.
Gusmini is from the town of Lovere, particularly a street named Via Papa Giovanni XXIII, who is also being canonised on Sunday.
According to Associated Press, in 2005, a 72-year-old woman was also crushed to her death by a 7-foot tall metal cross in Sant'Onofrio in Italy.
The canonisation rite is expected to draw millions of pilgrims to Vatican City, the seat of the Roman Catholic Church. Pope Francis would lead the Mass and the rite which starts at 9 am and is expected to end at noon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Toddler Defecates on Seat Aboard Delta Airlines
- MH17: Sight of People Pouring from the Sky Haunt Villagers
- Hotel Bikini Berlin’s Toilet Exposes Guests as They Do Their Thing
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Haiti, a Destination Only for the Brave Ones
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install