NBA Rumors 2014: Carmelo Anthony Might Play For Miami Heat as LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade Might Consider Taking Lesser Money
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 25, 2014 3:42 AM EST
New York Knicks superstar Carmelo Anthony will soon hit the free-agency market, and apparently, the Miami Heat has become a very viable destination for the perennial All-Star this summer.
Carmelo Anthony New York Knicks
Anthony, who can opt out from his contract with the Knickerbockers to test the free-agency waters for the first time in his career, is expected to be among the top free-agents who will draw tremendous interests from multiple teams this offseason.
Averaging 25.3 points, 3.1 assists and 6.5 rebounds throughout his career, Anthony is considered by many as player capable of becoming a cornerstone for a championship-aspiring squad. However, that has not been the case for Melo since he was traded to the Big Apple roughly four years ago, as injuries and inconsistency prevented him and the team from reaching their full potential.
Free-Agency Class of 2014
Similar to the free-agency class of 2010, this year's crop of free-agency players boasts tremendous talents, particularly at the wing position. Miami's super friends of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh are all expected to opt out from their contract in an attempt for a much larger paycheck, whether that be found in Miami or somewhere else.
However, many basketball insiders are pessimistic on the idea the Big Three will break up after the 2013-14 season, because the lure of winning more championships in South Florida would be too much for them to snub.
On the other hand, analysts believed Anthony could be the guy who will likely change uniform next season. Anthony has expressed his frustration with the Knicks' effort to form a championship-caliber team after years of disappointment in the playoffs. This year, the Knicks missed the postseason for the first time since 2010.
What's Up For Melo?
There's no denying Anthony's desire to win a championship as soon as possible, and the Knicks seem not to be the place to fulfill his dream. With the Heat looking to make their return to their fourth straight Finals appearance and win their third straight championship, there's a chance next year's Miami roster will feature four superstars coming from the legendary draft class of 2013.
According to Jalen Rose during a discussion with Grantland head columnist Bill Simmons, James, Bosh and Wade could opt out of their contract and accept again lesser money for Anthony to join the party in South Beach.
Rose stressed players are smart enough to know that their only chance of dominating the league is to make sacrifices financially in order to form a super-team like the Heat.
"They are smarter that we do give them credit for." Rose said on the show "When you put together a superteam, whether it is the Fab Five in college or whether it is the Miami Big Three, there had to be sacrifices made to open the door, and one of them in professional sports is salary."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’