NBA Rumors 2014: Carmelo Anthony Might Play For Miami Heat as LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade Might Consider Taking Lesser Money
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 25, 2014 3:42 AM EST
New York Knicks superstar Carmelo Anthony will soon hit the free-agency market, and apparently, the Miami Heat has become a very viable destination for the perennial All-Star this summer.
Carmelo Anthony New York Knicks
Anthony, who can opt out from his contract with the Knickerbockers to test the free-agency waters for the first time in his career, is expected to be among the top free-agents who will draw tremendous interests from multiple teams this offseason.
Averaging 25.3 points, 3.1 assists and 6.5 rebounds throughout his career, Anthony is considered by many as player capable of becoming a cornerstone for a championship-aspiring squad. However, that has not been the case for Melo since he was traded to the Big Apple roughly four years ago, as injuries and inconsistency prevented him and the team from reaching their full potential.
Free-Agency Class of 2014
Similar to the free-agency class of 2010, this year's crop of free-agency players boasts tremendous talents, particularly at the wing position. Miami's super friends of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh are all expected to opt out from their contract in an attempt for a much larger paycheck, whether that be found in Miami or somewhere else.
However, many basketball insiders are pessimistic on the idea the Big Three will break up after the 2013-14 season, because the lure of winning more championships in South Florida would be too much for them to snub.
On the other hand, analysts believed Anthony could be the guy who will likely change uniform next season. Anthony has expressed his frustration with the Knicks' effort to form a championship-caliber team after years of disappointment in the playoffs. This year, the Knicks missed the postseason for the first time since 2010.
What's Up For Melo?
There's no denying Anthony's desire to win a championship as soon as possible, and the Knicks seem not to be the place to fulfill his dream. With the Heat looking to make their return to their fourth straight Finals appearance and win their third straight championship, there's a chance next year's Miami roster will feature four superstars coming from the legendary draft class of 2013.
According to Jalen Rose during a discussion with Grantland head columnist Bill Simmons, James, Bosh and Wade could opt out of their contract and accept again lesser money for Anthony to join the party in South Beach.
Rose stressed players are smart enough to know that their only chance of dominating the league is to make sacrifices financially in order to form a super-team like the Heat.
"They are smarter that we do give them credit for." Rose said on the show "When you put together a superteam, whether it is the Fab Five in college or whether it is the Miami Big Three, there had to be sacrifices made to open the door, and one of them in professional sports is salary."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists