NBA Rumors 2014: Carmelo Anthony Might Play For Miami Heat as LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade Might Consider Taking Lesser Money
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 25, 2014 3:42 AM EST
New York Knicks superstar Carmelo Anthony will soon hit the free-agency market, and apparently, the Miami Heat has become a very viable destination for the perennial All-Star this summer.
Carmelo Anthony New York Knicks
Anthony, who can opt out from his contract with the Knickerbockers to test the free-agency waters for the first time in his career, is expected to be among the top free-agents who will draw tremendous interests from multiple teams this offseason.
Averaging 25.3 points, 3.1 assists and 6.5 rebounds throughout his career, Anthony is considered by many as player capable of becoming a cornerstone for a championship-aspiring squad. However, that has not been the case for Melo since he was traded to the Big Apple roughly four years ago, as injuries and inconsistency prevented him and the team from reaching their full potential.
Free-Agency Class of 2014
Similar to the free-agency class of 2010, this year's crop of free-agency players boasts tremendous talents, particularly at the wing position. Miami's super friends of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh are all expected to opt out from their contract in an attempt for a much larger paycheck, whether that be found in Miami or somewhere else.
However, many basketball insiders are pessimistic on the idea the Big Three will break up after the 2013-14 season, because the lure of winning more championships in South Florida would be too much for them to snub.
On the other hand, analysts believed Anthony could be the guy who will likely change uniform next season. Anthony has expressed his frustration with the Knicks' effort to form a championship-caliber team after years of disappointment in the playoffs. This year, the Knicks missed the postseason for the first time since 2010.
What's Up For Melo?
There's no denying Anthony's desire to win a championship as soon as possible, and the Knicks seem not to be the place to fulfill his dream. With the Heat looking to make their return to their fourth straight Finals appearance and win their third straight championship, there's a chance next year's Miami roster will feature four superstars coming from the legendary draft class of 2013.
According to Jalen Rose during a discussion with Grantland head columnist Bill Simmons, James, Bosh and Wade could opt out of their contract and accept again lesser money for Anthony to join the party in South Beach.
Rose stressed players are smart enough to know that their only chance of dominating the league is to make sacrifices financially in order to form a super-team like the Heat.
"They are smarter that we do give them credit for." Rose said on the show "When you put together a superteam, whether it is the Fab Five in college or whether it is the Miami Big Three, there had to be sacrifices made to open the door, and one of them in professional sports is salary."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet