Olympic Swimmer Michael Phelps Returns
By Shruthi SU | April 24, 2014 10:26 PM EST
Michael Phelps has officially announced his competitive return to the sport, for the first time since 2012. Come Thursday, he will be seen at the Mesa Grand Prix, seeded on top, in the 100-metre butterfly race.
The 18-time Olympic gold medalist will test his speed on Friday in the 50-metre freestyle, apart from the 100 butterfly. The 28-year-old looked relaxed and positive, talking about his comeback after 628 days.
"I am looking forward to wherever this road takes me, and I guess the journey will start tomorrow," he said.
Phelps was last seen in the 2012 London Olympics and said that he gained 30 pounds after the event. Coming into Mesa, he has made progress in losing the extra weight to be at his best. He said that the period between the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2012 London Olympics was the most challenging for him as a sportsperson.
"Getting back into shape was the number one thing," the American said.
"Going into 2012, it was hard. There were a lot of ups and downs. It was very challenging at times to get motivated."
Having participated in four Olympics - winning as many as 22 medals (18 gold) - does his return to plunge hint at the goal of a fifth Olympics in Rio 2016? Phelps replied he is only excited about the present.
"I just missed being back in the water," said Phelps. "It's been fun. We'll see what happens here, who knows.
"I always have goals and have things I want to achieve, and I have things that I want to achieve now.
"In terms of tarnishing my career, I said it before, I'm doing this for me," Phelps said when asked if he fears his return might tarnish the remarkable achievements so far. "If I don't become as successful as you all think I would be or should be, and you think it tarnishes my career, then that's your own opinion."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date