Olympic Swimmer Michael Phelps Returns
By Shruthi SU | April 24, 2014 10:26 PM EST
Michael Phelps has officially announced his competitive return to the sport, for the first time since 2012. Come Thursday, he will be seen at the Mesa Grand Prix, seeded on top, in the 100-metre butterfly race.
The 18-time Olympic gold medalist will test his speed on Friday in the 50-metre freestyle, apart from the 100 butterfly. The 28-year-old looked relaxed and positive, talking about his comeback after 628 days.
"I am looking forward to wherever this road takes me, and I guess the journey will start tomorrow," he said.
Phelps was last seen in the 2012 London Olympics and said that he gained 30 pounds after the event. Coming into Mesa, he has made progress in losing the extra weight to be at his best. He said that the period between the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2012 London Olympics was the most challenging for him as a sportsperson.
"Getting back into shape was the number one thing," the American said.
"Going into 2012, it was hard. There were a lot of ups and downs. It was very challenging at times to get motivated."
Having participated in four Olympics - winning as many as 22 medals (18 gold) - does his return to plunge hint at the goal of a fifth Olympics in Rio 2016? Phelps replied he is only excited about the present.
"I just missed being back in the water," said Phelps. "It's been fun. We'll see what happens here, who knows.
"I always have goals and have things I want to achieve, and I have things that I want to achieve now.
"In terms of tarnishing my career, I said it before, I'm doing this for me," Phelps said when asked if he fears his return might tarnish the remarkable achievements so far. "If I don't become as successful as you all think I would be or should be, and you think it tarnishes my career, then that's your own opinion."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28