‘2 States’ Box Office Collection: Alia-Arjun Starrer Beats ‘Main Tera Hero’ in 6 Days
By Ankita Mehta | April 24, 2014 9:27 PM EST
Alia Bhatt and Arjun Kapoor starrer "2 States" has accumulated ₹55.22 crore in six days at the domestic box office. The romantic comedy had strong six-day run, and the collections are expected to go up on the seventh day, due to the election holiday in several states.
The weekday earnings of the Abhishek Varman directorial have been in the range of ₹5-₹6 crore. The film remained steady at the collection centers despite the IPL matches.
Here is the day-wise breakup of the film: Friday ₹12.42 crore, Saturday ₹12.13 crore, Sunday ₹13.51 crore, Monday ₹6.17 crore, Tuesday ₹5.60 crore and Wednesday ₹5.39 crore.
"2 States" is climbing high on the box office chart. The film has now shattered Varun Dhawan starrer "Main Tera Hero" two-week total in just six days.
"Main Tera Hero" managed to earn ₹50 crore in two weeks, while "2 States" has collected ₹55 crore in six days.
Even before finishing its first week run, the film managed to become the fourth highest grosser of 2014. It now requires just ₹5 crore more to beat Kangana Ranaut's "Queen" domestic total.
Meanwhile, the film has already earned the production cost of ₹35 crore, including production, prints and advertising in its opening weekend.
"Like all of Chetan's previous books, 2 States also resonates with the youth and had a hook for family viewing and the idea was to capitalise on this through targeted distribution. We were very encouraged by the response the trailers of 2 States got and knew that the trick will be to pin-point exactly where to release the film in India and abroad, to get maximum traction," Amrita Pandey, vice-president and head, marketing and distribution, studios - Disney India, told Business Standard.
The film, which also features Ronit Roy, Amrita Singh, Shiv Kumar Subramaniam and Revathy, has been screened on 815 single screens and 1,235 multiplex screens in India. The film opened to 70 to 80 percent occupancy on the first day, due to Good Friday. It managed to maintain the same pace at the box office, throughout the weekend and weekdays.
By earning the production cost back, the film has registered itself in the hit films' list, and will soon enter the "super hit" list. Producers, Karan Johar and Sajid Nadiadwala, have decided to throw a party to celebrate the success of the film, which will be attended by the whole cast and crew. Also, the makers are planning to reunite the three Khans of Bollywood - Shah Rukh, Salman and Aamir - for the success bash.
"By the grace of God this has so far been a fantastic year for my production house. When we produced Highway, Imtiaz Ali and I planned it as a small experimental quickie while we waited for Ranbir Kapoor's dates later during this year. How were we to know Highway would be such a success?! It is one of my proudest achievements. And now I hear roaring reports of 2 States! So it's a double triumph for Alia Bhatt from our production house," Nadiadwala told Bollywood Hungama.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People