Armenian Genocide: Social Media Marks the 99th Anniversary of Massacres of 1.5 Million Armenians With Bold Messages
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 24, 2014 7:41 PM EST
The social media is standing in solidarity to mark the starting day of the 'Armenian Genocide', also known as the Armenian Holocaust, and Armenian massacres when the Ottoman government systematically exterminated its minority Armenian subjects from their historic homeland in the territory which constitutes the present day Turkey.
The social media is marking the 99th Anniversary of 'Armenian Genocide', also known as the Armenian Holocaust. (Photo: Wikimedia Commons)
Historical documentation reveals that the Genocide, traditionally called by Armenians as Medz Yeghern "Great Crime", took place during and after World War I. The massacres were implemented in two phases, one involving the en-masse killing of the able bodied male population, and the other involving deportation of woman, children, the infirm and the elder on death marches to the Syrian Desert.
As a result, the total number of people killed has been estimated at between 1 and 1.5 million. Due to the organized manner in which Armenians were systematically eliminated, the Armenian Genocide is often considered to be one of the first modern genocides in contemporary history. It is, in fact, the second most-studied case of genocide after the Holocaust. It is even said, that the world 'genocide' was in fact, coined in order to describe these events.
The day when the mass killing started is thought to be 24 April 1915 and Thursday marks the 99th Anniversary of the Genocide.
The day, however, faces some contentions as not every country in this world recognizes or formally accepts that the massacre and forced deportation of Armenians by the Ottaman Empire from 1915- 1923 constitutes 'genocide'.
Majority of historians and academic institutions on Holocaust and Genocide Studies recognize the events as 'Armenian Genocide'. As of 2011, the governments of 21 countries, including Russia, France, and 43 states of the United States of America, have recognized the events as 'genocide' while Turkey and Azerbaijan deny that even ever occurred.
Following are some of the strongest messages posted on Twitter regarding the infamous Armenian Genocide:
— Tatiana Talar (@TatianaTalar) April 24, 2014
"Some wounds time never heals" Design by Alexander Kranz #ArmenianGenocide pic.twitter.com/Jx7kIqpaSt — Masis Üşenmez (@masisus) April 24, 2014
— Chris Jerjian (@IbisOfficeSpace) April 24, 2014
The #ArmenianGenocide, committed by the Turkish Ottoman gov't, claimed 1.5M Armenians lives. To this day, Turkey denies a genocide occurred. — ArmenianGenocide (@Genocideof1915) April 24, 2014
— Meero Panossian (@Meefig) April 24, 2014
Freedom square in Yerevan. The sky has also turned red, blue, orange for the occasion. #ArmenianGenocide pic.twitter.com/MQEP8MtlGU — Serge (@Zinvor) April 23, 2014
— Samy Gemayel (@samygemayel) April 23, 2014
In East Hollywood today, I spotted this mural that refers to the #ArmenianGenocide; April 24, 1915. pic.twitter.com/4CqSHVCBS6 — Susan Abram (@sabramLA) April 23, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date