Canada Police Shoot Homeless Man, YouTube Video of Incident Fuels Protests
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 24, 2014 5:46 PM EST
Canadian activists are outraged by a video where police are seen shooting a mentally ill homeless man with rubber bullets.
The incident took place in Abbotsford, British Columbia. Activists now argue that police used unnecessary force to deal with the homeless man. According to police, the man yelled and waved a butcher knife to them and refused to listen to the instructions given to him to get down on the ground, CBC News reported. Abbotsford police spokesperson Constable Ian MacDonald said that police shot the 57-year-old homeless man with non-lethal bullets. He was shot with an Arwen gun which fired rubber bullets and bean bags. According to Mr MacDonald, police usually do that in a situation like that. He said he believed that the police had handled it in "a professional manner." The homeless man in question here, identified as Roy Roberts, has mental health issues.
Activists started campaigning while launching an online petition that accused the police of implementing unnecessary force. The incident drew their attention after a video of the incident was posted on YouTube. The video, which was apparently shot in a mobile, police are heard addressing Roberts as John. Police are seen shouting and asking the man to "stay down on the ground." The man was asked not to get up. He was told that he was "under arrest." While Roberts asked the police why he was under arrest, one of the officers apparently replied that he was under arrest for possessing a weapon.
Roberts, on the other hand, seemed to pay no attention to what he was asked to do by the police. That was when he was shot for the first time with the Arwen gun. While the police made more demands to him, he was shot once again. Roberts did not comply with the police at any point of the incident. He was eventually arrested by officers who moved in. Roberts has now been charged with possession of a dangerous weapon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Egyptian Feminist Sends a Bold Message to ISIS as she Poses Nude & Bleeds On Islamic State Flag
- Canadian Serial Killer Suspect Confesses And Gives Murder Details
- No Charges Against 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl Who Accidentally Shoots to Death Arizona Gun Instructor (VIDEO)
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Judge Redfoo Hurt After Attacker Threw Glass At Him in Sydney Hotel
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown