Disney Hints Episode VII to Be Most Expensive Star Wars Movie Ever
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 24, 2014 5:38 PM EST
According to Disney, the new instalment of the Star Wars may be the most expensive one to date.
The Guardian reported that Disney Chairman Alan Horn indicated that the latest Star Wars movies might cost around $200 million for each film. According to Horn, there is no completed budget available for the movies yet. He spoke to Bloomberg TV as he said that the budget was estimated to be more or less around that number. "These large, tent-pole kinds of movies," are
on the expensive side," he said. Horn further said that they were committed to giving the audience "a full meal in return for their affection and devotion and love for these properties." He said that while they would not "give budgets out," it would definitely be "a big, tent-pole movie budget."
Activists from the Internet Party of Ukraine, dressed as Star Wars characters, hold a party congress in Kiev March 29, 2014. The party announced that its leader "Darth Vader" has submitted documents to the Ukrainian Central Elections Commission to register as a candidate for Ukraine's May 25 presidential election.
If Horn's hints are to be believed, Star Wars: Episode VII will have as big a budget as The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the latest film from the Spider-Man movie series. On the other hand, there have been other such movies which emphasise largely on digital effects and cost more. One example is The Avengers that cost around $220 million, according to reports. The last Star Wars film came about a decade back. The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith cost about $115 million each. However, the original Star Wars movie, arguably the most iconic of them all, cost only $11 million which would be about $43 million in today's time.
Disney is no stranger to making high budget movies as the movie with highest budget in history belongs to the elite production company. Disney made Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End in 2007 with a budget of around $300 million. Mashable reported that, if made with such budget, the latest Star Wars movie could only be one of the 20 movies with the highest budgets. There are other movies like Spider Man 2, Toy Story 3 and Titanic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2: Jessica Talks After Her Shocking Elimination
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes