Disney Hints Episode VII to Be Most Expensive Star Wars Movie Ever
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 24, 2014 5:38 PM EST
According to Disney, the new instalment of the Star Wars may be the most expensive one to date.
The Guardian reported that Disney Chairman Alan Horn indicated that the latest Star Wars movies might cost around $200 million for each film. According to Horn, there is no completed budget available for the movies yet. He spoke to Bloomberg TV as he said that the budget was estimated to be more or less around that number. "These large, tent-pole kinds of movies," are
on the expensive side," he said. Horn further said that they were committed to giving the audience "a full meal in return for their affection and devotion and love for these properties." He said that while they would not "give budgets out," it would definitely be "a big, tent-pole movie budget."
Activists from the Internet Party of Ukraine, dressed as Star Wars characters, hold a party congress in Kiev March 29, 2014. The party announced that its leader "Darth Vader" has submitted documents to the Ukrainian Central Elections Commission to register as a candidate for Ukraine's May 25 presidential election.
If Horn's hints are to be believed, Star Wars: Episode VII will have as big a budget as The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the latest film from the Spider-Man movie series. On the other hand, there have been other such movies which emphasise largely on digital effects and cost more. One example is The Avengers that cost around $220 million, according to reports. The last Star Wars film came about a decade back. The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith cost about $115 million each. However, the original Star Wars movie, arguably the most iconic of them all, cost only $11 million which would be about $43 million in today's time.
Disney is no stranger to making high budget movies as the movie with highest budget in history belongs to the elite production company. Disney made Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End in 2007 with a budget of around $300 million. Mashable reported that, if made with such budget, the latest Star Wars movie could only be one of the 20 movies with the highest budgets. There are other movies like Spider Man 2, Toy Story 3 and Titanic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date