Disney Hints Episode VII to Be Most Expensive Star Wars Movie Ever
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 24, 2014 5:38 PM EST
According to Disney, the new instalment of the Star Wars may be the most expensive one to date.
The Guardian reported that Disney Chairman Alan Horn indicated that the latest Star Wars movies might cost around $200 million for each film. According to Horn, there is no completed budget available for the movies yet. He spoke to Bloomberg TV as he said that the budget was estimated to be more or less around that number. "These large, tent-pole kinds of movies," are
on the expensive side," he said. Horn further said that they were committed to giving the audience "a full meal in return for their affection and devotion and love for these properties." He said that while they would not "give budgets out," it would definitely be "a big, tent-pole movie budget."
Activists from the Internet Party of Ukraine, dressed as Star Wars characters, hold a party congress in Kiev March 29, 2014. The party announced that its leader "Darth Vader" has submitted documents to the Ukrainian Central Elections Commission to register as a candidate for Ukraine's May 25 presidential election.
If Horn's hints are to be believed, Star Wars: Episode VII will have as big a budget as The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the latest film from the Spider-Man movie series. On the other hand, there have been other such movies which emphasise largely on digital effects and cost more. One example is The Avengers that cost around $220 million, according to reports. The last Star Wars film came about a decade back. The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith cost about $115 million each. However, the original Star Wars movie, arguably the most iconic of them all, cost only $11 million which would be about $43 million in today's time.
Disney is no stranger to making high budget movies as the movie with highest budget in history belongs to the elite production company. Disney made Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End in 2007 with a budget of around $300 million. Mashable reported that, if made with such budget, the latest Star Wars movie could only be one of the 20 movies with the highest budgets. There are other movies like Spider Man 2, Toy Story 3 and Titanic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'The Mentalist' Season 7, Episode 1 Spoilers: The Ending Begins For Patrick Jane And Teresa Lisbon (Synopsis)
- 'CSI Crime Scene Investigation' Season 15 Recap: Episode 7 ‘Road to Recovery' Aired On Nov. 23, 2014, A Girl In A Rehabilitation Facility Ends Up Dead In A Pool And The ‘CSI Las Vegas’ Team Investigated Her Death [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James