Disney Hints Episode VII to Be Most Expensive Star Wars Movie Ever
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | April 24, 2014 5:38 PM EST
According to Disney, the new instalment of the Star Wars may be the most expensive one to date.
The Guardian reported that Disney Chairman Alan Horn indicated that the latest Star Wars movies might cost around $200 million for each film. According to Horn, there is no completed budget available for the movies yet. He spoke to Bloomberg TV as he said that the budget was estimated to be more or less around that number. "These large, tent-pole kinds of movies," are
on the expensive side," he said. Horn further said that they were committed to giving the audience "a full meal in return for their affection and devotion and love for these properties." He said that while they would not "give budgets out," it would definitely be "a big, tent-pole movie budget."
Activists from the Internet Party of Ukraine, dressed as Star Wars characters, hold a party congress in Kiev March 29, 2014. The party announced that its leader "Darth Vader" has submitted documents to the Ukrainian Central Elections Commission to register as a candidate for Ukraine's May 25 presidential election.
If Horn's hints are to be believed, Star Wars: Episode VII will have as big a budget as The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the latest film from the Spider-Man movie series. On the other hand, there have been other such movies which emphasise largely on digital effects and cost more. One example is The Avengers that cost around $220 million, according to reports. The last Star Wars film came about a decade back. The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith cost about $115 million each. However, the original Star Wars movie, arguably the most iconic of them all, cost only $11 million which would be about $43 million in today's time.
Disney is no stranger to making high budget movies as the movie with highest budget in history belongs to the elite production company. Disney made Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End in 2007 with a budget of around $300 million. Mashable reported that, if made with such budget, the latest Star Wars movie could only be one of the 20 movies with the highest budgets. There are other movies like Spider Man 2, Toy Story 3 and Titanic.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier